New Elite - Elite: Dangerous

The strategy of playing ones role.
Jez

Re: New Elite - Elite: Dangerous

Postby Jez » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:24 pm

This 2.1 update to Horizons is a good next step for the game. The headline feature (The Engineers) is proving a bit marmite to the community, I really like it myself as it's added "crafting" of sorts to the game to improve various aspects of your ships everything from weapons to FSD to thrusters can be made better and given unique characteristics when weapons are improved.

They've buffed missiles massively and they are now very useable indeed. I like this change very much as missiles have always been my thing. They now have considerable splash damage and are great for stripping off the health of the outer bits of your target ship.

Missions also have gotten a make over along with a more sensible system for finding your targets in the game. The old USS system has been altered also to take this into account. Now when given a mission you must either interogate a systems nav beacon to get location information or fit an advanced discovery scanner. This will tell you which planetary item your target is located at. You just fly to it ans the location will generate when in range.

All in all loads of changes too many to list here. Overall excellent update that is a huge step forward to addressing some of the depth it needs.

EDIT: forgot to mention the updated enemy AI....its a lot tougher now some of the fights are real challenges now especially when fighting against master level and above.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:09 pm

I am overdue some more Elite time, will have to hop on and have a look.

Better missions will be a godsend certainly. They have created an amazing playground, but with a piss-poor attempt at making it interesting when you are docked.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:15 pm

Jump in Snowy I'm around later tonight for a blast can get on in game chat if you are about and need questions answered.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:58 pm

Sounds good mate

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:27 pm

The update doesn't take long to download either maybe 20 mins.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:58 am

Apols Jezmond, forgot I was the wife's taxi service last night. Thankfully the opportunity to cane the ST around 40 miles of Hampshire's finest country roads made up for the lack of Elite :)

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:56 pm

Did anyone else see "ship kits" and go "only £8?! I'd totally pay that to build a little model eagle!

Oh wait, its a fucking tailfin for your ingame ship that no Edwin will ever see!! :lol:
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:57 pm

The sad thing is that I think some of the ones for the Eagle look pretty good. The Sidewinder and Cobra though? They all look like cheap body kits for a Vauxhall Nova.

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:07 pm

should I dig out the joysitcks once more?!!!! :P
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:25 pm

I'm really enjoying the new update personally.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:25 am

Think I am going to have a wee look.

Right now in fact.

Jez wrote:EDIT: forgot to mention the updated enemy AI....its a lot tougher now some of the fights are real challenges now especially when fighting against master level and above.

Bugger me you aren't kidding are you!

Warped into my Faction HQ base of Nanomam, and thought I would pop by the Nav Beacon for a quick fight. Usually the route would be fly in, scan who is there, and pop anyone who looks to be a threat within a few seconds of engaging them - fights never tended to last more than 30 seconds or so against small ships. Today, fly in, start checking the ships there for anyone wanted, and almost immediately come under attack from an Imperial Eagle flown by an Aisling Duval allied NPC. Imperial Eagles, while quick, are generally pretty much bottom feeders in the old Elite and can be popped by a tooled up Vulture like mine in seconds. This one knocked my shields down and took 20% off my hull and my canopy integrity to critical before I finally killed the fucker. This is a bit worrying - my old career of bounty hunting now looks to be a whole lot less lucrative if it takes that long to knock enemy ships down (must have been a good 4-5 mins fight) and costs that much in repairs afterwards.

Do like the 'air traffic control' docking messages, and the outfitting menu is a lot friendlier now. The rest - unsure tbh!

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:32 am

You have to be a lot smarter these days. Taking on low level harmless to competent enemies is fine and probably not much changed. But anything above that up to dangerous will be a real challenge depending on the ship. Dangerous and above to elite will be a fight for your life one v one.

For bounty hunting now what I do is head to and a haz res site and wait for targets to become aggressed by other npc. Gives you time to kill warrant scan them and get in position. Wait till npcs have whittled the shields off then seeker missiles to the drives (missiles got a lot of dev love btw they are great now). Whatever you do make sure you have no cargo in your hold if you have any canisters in there they will scan it and be after you. As long as you carry nothing they will scan and grumble about it but nothing more.

Have you had after look at any of the engineers snowy?

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:02 pm

Tbh I have read up absolutely zero on the whole engineers thing - potted summary?

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:50 pm

Haha there's not really a thing like a potted summary.

Basically you might noticed you are collecting new materials when you scan ships and they drop stuff when destroyed. There are other ways too of getting stuff...scanning wakes, srv mining on planets, regular mining in belts. Well you turn those things in to various engineers and they can improve various aspects of the ship modules and weapons. If you pop on the frontier forums you'll see an engineers forum that has loads of discussion and a few stickys that will cover it. I'm out and about at moment in town so can't give loads of detail.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:51 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing