Football Manager 2013

The strategy of playing ones role.
Me
He's so not aard

Re: Football Manager 2013

Postby Me » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:10 pm

I've hired a good assistant manager and let him do the team talks and most of them end up green every match. I think it gets easier to do them over time as the players respect you more. Bit like when a player asks for more money and you can shout them down if you've been at the club a while and have a good reputation.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:55 pm

Yeah, I meant to add, for one match I let my assistant (promoted Borrell from the academy, he's ace in this version stat-wise) do the team-talks... he was even worse than me! >.<
My face is tired.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:24 pm

Yar, my one on my liverpool game was the same, terrible, I'm in 2018 in my Burnley game and Beven gets everyone green most of the time. So do I if I decide to shout at everyone for being a goal down at half time.

Adalaar
Augmented

Postby Adalaar » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:53 pm

Sly Boots wrote:Been playing a bit of this, been pondering over what to say, to be honest.

I spent most of the first several hours learning my way around the interface - various bits of info have been moved around, and initially it was a bit frustrating to find what I was looking for. It's all there, though, it's just a case of getting used to it.

Training has been much simplified - rather than creating half a dozen different schedules, each with 8 or so sliders to painstakingly position, you now just choose an area you want one player to focus on (like finishing, or tackling), or if they don't have any particular weaknesses you can just set them to concentrate on their tactical roles. Five minutes, bang, training done. You can set a different priority for the week, but to be honest i've just let my assistant do that.

Tactics system and setting is virtually identical to FM 2012, which is to say it's a very good, flexible system, and at the touch of a button you can see how suited a particular player is for the role you're asking him to play.

The match engine - after 2-3 games, I would have said it was flawless, but the longer I play it, the more annoyances I find. My players just won't attack a loose ball, most actively run away from them, in fact. Today I conceded one goal where a ball ran loose towards my goal, about 40 yards out. My midfielder initially went for it, but abruptly stopped running. My two centre-backs were back-pedalling furiously away from it. Completely unmarked, the opposition striker latched onto it, sprinted towards my goal - at which point one of my CBs lunged at him in the 6-yard box, and hammered the ball into his own net.

Exactly the same thing happened in the next match.

Attackers can veer from slick 10-pass moves to passing the ball straight to the opposition for no apparent reason.

The biggest annoyance I've found, though, is the player mentalities. No matter what I say in team talks, even if it's calmly asking them to do this for the fans, it pisses them off. Some players are furious at being told to keep things tight in the second half when we're leading 1-0 away from home. In about 10 matches now, I've never once had a positive effect on a player during a team talk, but many negative reactions along the lines I've just described.

During a match, half my players are either 'looking complacent' or 'looking anxious', none ever seem motivated or confident, even after scoring a hat-trick (in previous versions, if a player scored a goal they 'looked full of confidence' for the rest of the match, and played the better for it).

I find myself not enjoying it as much as previous versions for those reasons, and hopefully they're niggles that can be patched.

If I had to recommend a FM game to a newbie, I'd still have to lump for FM2012, I think.

That's what I'll buy then...Thanks mate.
cHeal wrote: I don't care one way or another whether GamerGate is all white or all black migrant transgender midget. .

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:07 pm

So, FM 2014 is out soon, but I mainly wanted to post a great article the Guardian has just published on the Football Manager phenomenon.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... onel-messi

Some great anecdotes in there, well worth a read.
My face is tired.

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:42 pm

I'm sure I read or heard somewhere that Jason was on a train once and he was playing Football Manager on his laptop. He got beat by United and someone sat behind him screamed "yeeesssss!" at full-time. He hit the "load game" button. :D
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Previous

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing