Prison Architect

The strategy of playing ones role.
Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Prison Architect

Postby Snowy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:14 am

Don't know if any of you have been following the latest title from Introversion, but the subject matter combined with the quirky graphical approach has had me intrigued for a while.

So as a result I bought into the paid alpha test - at $30 it is a little steep, but they are looking for people who want to help drive the development and not a cast of thousands to troll their forums and dilute the feedback which I kinda get the sense behind.

So.... the alpha then. Well it is quite stable - I had a couple of CTD crashes last night, but over a 3 hour period, and the autosave function meant that I never lost much progress. There is also quite a lot of game there already.

After completing a quick tutorial, you start by choosing the size of your prison, which actually only determines the size of the play area. You have a road running down the far right hand side, from where your deliveries of both resources and prisoners arrives, and from where you generally start to create your prison, which you do from scratch.

You get a 1 day head start before your first truckload of cons are delivered to turn a bare field into the bones of your prison. You can take several grants, each of which gives you some money and a corresponding set of objectives. Build a holding cell, shower block, yard, kitchen and canteen; hire a warden, guards and cooks, ensure that the place is connected up with electricity and water as needed, and whether you are ready or not at 8am a consignment of 8 prisoners arrives and things start getting tricky.

The prisoners are a fractious bunch and hard to keep pacified. They are fond of kicking the shit out of one another, stabbing and battering with gleeful abandon, and it won't be long before things kick off. The game puts you straight onto the back foot - your fledgeling solitary wing wont have enough cells, the ward will not have enough beds, you will not be able to meet all the requirements of the cons, and so they will get angry. And at 8am every day, more arrive.

It kept me on my toes and enjoying myself for a good few hours last night, and I was sorry to switch off which is a plus. The graphics in particular are quite unusual - you have a cartoon prison that gets covered in gore as fights break out, and the subject matter is quite grim. Quite an unusual juxtaposition, and one that works well.

Anyhow, will update if there is interest as the game evolves throughout alpha and beta.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Lee

Re: Prison Architect

Postby Lee » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:37 am

Ah nice I recall seeing it mentioned somewhere and nothing again. I am looking forward to getting it but as you said the $30 to get into the alphas is a bit steep. Have enjoyed Darwinnia loads and always interested in what they make next :)
Formerly MrAnnoyed

katarn

Postby katarn » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:45 am

It does look quite neat. Hopefully they'll pull it off.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:56 pm

Do they bum in the showers?
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:11 pm

Amazing trailer :)
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:19 pm

HYPHEN!

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:31 pm

You'll be pleased at this bit of news.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... USD100-000

Some very cool sounding features on the way.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:55 am

They have managed to make $100k in 72 hours which is some going.

Features set to be added in the next few months.

-Tunnelling and escape attempts.
-Riots which have to be put down using Riot police.
-Default locked doors that must be opened by guards.

They are also chewing over introducing gangs, but are still trying to figure that one out.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:04 pm

Cool - the current iteration is a lot of fun even though you know stuff is missing. It will be nice to see the new features as they are dropped :)

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:09 pm

Ah so this is the game Snowy was talking about when he actually probably thought I wasn't listening to him. :P

I really needed a piss at the time mate. Sorry.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:00 am

Haha no worries mate. Yes this is the one - I was really struggling to describe the game without making it sound shit. "Erm, it has cutesy kinda graphics, but nasty content, and you end up with cartoon claret all over the place, and, um, it's good, honest, check it out..."

Think I failed in my mission :) Watch the vid instead, they do a much better job HYPHEN!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:01 am

What's this hyphen thing?

(I haven't watched the video...)
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:49 am

Then you should. All will become clear.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:42 pm

Been watching the developer session from Rezzed back in August where they announced how the game was born out of ideas from a previous project. It's pretty hilarious and also really fascinating. As soon as I've got some cash I'm definitely getting in on the alpha.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... tect-alpha

Video is embedded in the article half way down for those with 45 minutes to spare.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:18 pm

So after what has felt like decades in Early Access Introvision have announced that the game will finally be released in October. I think this was one of the first games to launch on the service wasn't it, and they have been one of the best about keeping people updated and also updating the game. I wonder how successful the whole process has been for them.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Next

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing