Dragon Age III: Inquisition Announced

The strategy of playing ones role.
Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Dragon Age III: Inquisition Announced

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:09 pm

I think your choice of class - more so than any other RPG I think I've played - massively affected your enjoyment of DA3, I think.

I played the campaign fully the first time as a rogue, then started and quickly abandoned subsequent playthroughs as a mage and a warrior. The combat as a rogue is honestly fantastic, loved the way it feels and plays as you zip in and out of close combat, backstabbing and so on. It is far, far better than the DA2 combat.

But playing as a warrior or a mage... it was shite, quite honestly. Either boring bashing away endlessly at HP bars as a warrior, or underpowered pew-pew at a distance for the mage. How they could get one class to feel so cool in combat but the other two to feel so crap, I honestly don't know. If I remember, you played as a mage, so I can't blame you for coming away with a negative experience. You'd have very little interest in exploring a large world if you have to do so while wading through hours of unengaging combat.
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:54 pm

You'd think after years of making rpg games they'd get that balance right. This is why I love witcher 3 bursting on the scene for many reasons yes it's a different game in many ways but it's got to have shaken up the big players out of their ennui somewhat in both rpg games and open world games.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:27 pm

It wasn't just the class choice it was also the lack of healing meaning you had to rely on just the 8 potions which only restocked at campsites so you had to traipse backwards and forwards from them in order to keep fighting. Such a terrible decision. As for the Rogue, I normally took one with me and as you could control all the team I could switch to them if I wanted, but it didn't really make the combat that much better. It was a bad half-way house between the click-fest of DA 2 and the tactical stuff of DA: Origins.

Anyway enough for now, the series is best consigned to the scrap heap I think as they haven't got things right since the original and with the Witcher 3 setting a new standard I can't see them being able to match that. Best stick to Mass Effect and new IP I think.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:36 am

Prey wrote:*Dragon fire bump*

130 hours in and and my main character Maxwell hit level 25 yesterday. Still have Dragons left to kill and plenty of quests to complete but I'm kinda of bothered concerning the Trespasser DLC I bought a while back that has still failed to materialise in any kind of form in the game world. It doesn't show up on the War Table as I read it is meant to so I'm left completing what I can in the vain hope it will kick in magically somehow.

Trespasser starts after you've finished the main quest.

I've made no secret about how much I love DA3. Witcher 3 is the better game, but to say an RPG is poor because it's not as good as W3 is to say every other RPG is poor (except maybe BG2 ¬_¬).
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:49 am

Took on Hakkon last night for the very first time and lo and behold he's kicking my arse. I did manage to get him down to about a quarter health but his wing flap move always manages to cause me a headache, even if I use Maxwell's shield which deflects his projectiles but doesn't seem to help much else.

I'm wondering if I'm attempting it with the wrong party line up?

Right now I have Maxwell, Viv, Dorian and Iron Bull. All at level 25. Anyone got any tips for old Prey?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:51 am

Christ Prey, it's been so long none of those names or that battle means anything to me! :lol:

WTF is Maxwell?
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:03 am

Deary me Sly. :lol: :lol:

Maxwell is The Inquisitor, noob. :P

Also fuck right off even trying to defend DA2 as anything close to being better than DA3. DA3 is in an entirely different league.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:08 am

Prey wrote:Deary me Sly. :lol: :lol:

Maxwell is The Inquisitor, noob. :P

Also fuck right off even trying to defend DA2 as anything close to being better than DA3. DA3 is in an entirely different league.

Ah, well, I played it as a female main char, so that wasn't my name :P

What class are you playing as, will make a difference who else to bring.

Off the top of my head I'd say drop Dorian. In the campaign I was soloing dragons with Viv so she can surely do some damage in this fight just on her own if you're controlling her. Cassandra is a pretty good tank so might be worth switching Dorian out for her.
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:13 am

The problem is I have such an overwhelming affinity for the party I have now especially Iron Bull (<3) I'm kinda of scared to replace any of them, but I know that is the true way forward no doubt.

Dorian is pretty weak I must admit so I guess it's time to mix it up. Cassandra it is.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:28 am

Prey wrote:The problem is I have such an overwhelming affinity for the party I have now especially Iron Bull (<3) I'm kinda of scared to replace any of them, but I know that is the true way forward no doubt.

Dorian is pretty weak I must admit so I guess it's time to mix it up. Cassandra it is.

Bull is an excellent tank as well, so I'd definitely keep him in.

I remember quite liking Dorian as a character and he had a good backstory, but I never really found a use for him in the party.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:00 am

Prey wrote:Also fuck right off even trying to defend DA2 as anything close to being better than DA3. DA3 is in an entirely different league.

If you mean an entirely different league of crap, then you are correct. :D
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:04 pm

No Nat. Just no. :wink:

Right now I constantly keep getting thrown off course by how many secret side missions and easter eggs there are hidden throughout the game world, it's actually quite amazing they added in so many.

I often find myself obsessing over locating previously locked doors now I have the deft hands fine tools perk although I will admit that much of the loot you tend to find is decidedly meh in nature it still makes you fee like much more of a completionist still.

The game very much reminds me of my days playing the likes of Kingdoms of Amalur with its beautiful worlds, kenetic combat, beautiful looking magic and overall sense of thematic wonder I tend to love in such semi/open world games. Must be another reason why I'm enjoying it so damn much.

Previous

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing