Dragon Age III: Inquisition Announced

The strategy of playing ones role.
Tichinde

Re: Dragon Age III: Inquisition Announced

Postby Tichinde » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:37 am

Necromancer is wicked cool (if awful to look at).
Legionnaire is fun but you need talent points before it's actually useful.
Reavers are fun too.
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:52 am

So I've finally finished it. That post-credits sequence! :o :shock:

Spoiler: show
Solas is Fen'Harel! :o

That was a very significant reveal for me. Before DA3 was released I spent a fair amount of time reading up on the lore, particularly around who Flemeth really was and the surrounding theories. One of the most rounded theories was that Flemeth was Fen'Harel, the Elven trickster god who sealed away the other Elven gods. When I got to the Temple of Mythal and Morrigan translated the inscription, she whispered "Asha-Bellanar" - Flemeth's Elven name - and I was certain the theory was on the right track. The later reveal that Flemeth is Mythal was a nice surprise, and I'd dismissed any Fen'Harel involvement by the end of the game. Then Solas showed up again and my mind was blown.

There is a good explanation and a couple of theories about the wider implications of this here:

http://kotaku.com/dragon-age-inquisitio ... 1671137779

I really want to play the game again now in that context. If only I'd clocked that Solas is the Elven word for "Pride" before the quest "What Pride Hath Wrought"!

At first I thought the ending with Corypheus was a bit pedestrian, but the true end is something altogether greater.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:56 pm

Some non-spoilery thoughts on the game as a whole.

I loved DA:I. Not as much as Origins, but as much as I could have hoped. I play Bioware RPGs for the story and characters primarily, and on that front it thoroughly rewards players who have been paying attention throughout the series. However, it has one major flaw: filler. The Ubisoft flaw. Once I arrived in the Hinterlands near the start, I spent a full 20 hours on filler before advancing the main quest. 20 hours in a Bioware game without any proper conversations or story stuff. That in itself is insane, but the fact that there were many more areas (none quite as big, but all of them substantial, in the realm of 5-15 hours each) is astonishing, in both good and bad ways. Exploring the scenery was a pleasure, putting aside a few issues with navigating cliffs and the such. But I don't play Bioware games to collect 10 of something or kill 5 of someone. It's 20 hours of exemplary Bioware storytelling dropped across a 90 hour Ubisoft game.

And yet I enjoyed the exploring bits. I don't know whether to applaud Bioware or demand a tighter cut from them. When I play it again, and I will, I don't know if I'll bother with half of the game. I think you could comfortably skip huge portions of it to little detriment and complete it in 40 hours. When I think back to the Mass Effect series, that had some filler (anyone remember trying to find all the citadel keepers in MA1?) but most of the sidequests were excellent and involving. Aside from the character-specific quests, DA:I didn't have any sidequests as far as I can tell. Yes, you can optionally hunt dragons and solve a few ancient ruin puzzles, but they don't advance the characters or story in any meaningful way. That is my quibble with the game, and it's why Origins still takes the top spot of the series.

Back to the true core of the game, the characters, I think the cast is mostly great. A replay will demand more attention on some of them, but the only one I think was out of place and basically a bit shit was Sera. I simply didn't click with her at all. Cole was a bit annoying, but his endless waffling appears to have some esoteric clues which demand closer inspection. Iron Bull is a fucking triumph, as are Varric and Dorian. As the comedy trio, they headed up my A-Team for most of the game. I warmed to Josephine eventually, and Leliana was a stronger character than in Origins (if a little underused at times). Cullen... I have to give special praise to Bioware here because they took a risk and it paid off. Cullen verges so perilously close to being a whiny emo at times and yet he never becomes an embarrassment or a nuisance. He has a true development of character built over all three games, with very compelling reasons for being distrustful and moody. He could have been a disaster but I think he turned out to be one of the best characters in the game.

I'm at a loose end now. I've spent so much time with this that I don't know what to play next - everything will seem tiny in comparison. I might play a bit of Elite until I can stomach another go at Inquisition. :lol:

Photos!

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:59 pm

This "No healing magic" thing is really starting to grate...
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:54 am

So out of nowhere, the first single player DLC was announced yesterday and is out now.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... player-dlc

Um, yay? A bit weird that they've released it at the same time as announcing it.... usually not a good sign. And in the same week as Pillars of Eternity for reasons I can't fathom. I'll be playing this, but it's an oddly announced, oddly timed release.

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:56 am

As much as I enjoyed my first playthrough, my replay kind of fizzled out after another dozen hours or so, haven't touched it in months. It might be one of those weird games that I liked but never really felt like revisiting.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:05 am

I have next to no desire to play anymore Dragon Age 3. The further away I get from that game the more I think it was an average game with far too much filler. I'm not even sure why I finished it as there was nothing really driving me forward.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:45 am

*Dragon fire bump*

130 hours in and and my main character Maxwell hit level 25 yesterday. Still have Dragons left to kill and plenty of quests to complete but I'm kinda of bothered concerning the Trespasser DLC I bought a while back that has still failed to materialise in any kind of form in the game world. It doesn't show up on the War Table as I read it is meant to so I'm left completing what I can in the vain hope it will kick in magically somehow.

Spoiler: show
The final DOOM mission is showing up on the table however but I don't want to dive into it before I feel ready.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:25 am

I've still not played this, but 130 hours to hit level 25 sounds like a grind.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:35 am

I wouldn't say the game is a grind, but you can easily find yourself wandering around for hours just doing busy work. I wouldn't bother playing it Edwin, I very much feel that this third game is easily the worst in the series.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:40 am

Nah. DA2 is still dross, DA3 is miles better with some interesting maps to explore and story quests. The side-quests are pretty poor though, which will be compounded for anyone playing it post-Witcher 3.
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:23 pm

I reinstalled it a few months ago looking for a further fantasy rpg boost after witcher 3. Big mistake. I got it on release and I probably put 20 hours into it. I put about a 10th of that into the second try. I really shouldn't piss on this again but it just pales into mediocrity next to witcher series. First one was good generally the second was utter bollox and the third...well. unlucky it was out around the time cdproject decided to nuke the entire genre.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:36 pm

Sly Boots wrote:Nah. DA2 is still dross, DA3 is miles better with some interesting maps to explore and story quests. The side-quests are pretty poor though, which will be compounded for anyone playing it post-Witcher 3.

The combat and level design in DA 2 isn't good, but the story and the stuff they do with changing the city over time is really well done. The story in 3 is poor by comparison and the combat isn't much better either. DA 3's biggest sin is that it is just dull, there is a lot of stuff to do, but none of it is that interesting at least DA 2 was interesting.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:00 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:Nah. DA2 is still dross, DA3 is miles better with some interesting maps to explore and story quests. The side-quests are pretty poor though, which will be compounded for anyone playing it post-Witcher 3.

The combat and level design in DA 2 isn't good, but the story and the stuff they do with changing the city over time is really well done. The story in 3 is poor by comparison and the combat isn't much better either. DA 3's biggest sin is that it is just dull, there is a lot of stuff to do, but none of it is that interesting at least DA 2 was interesting.

It isn't well done, though. I think the lack of any real change in the city over what is supposed to be a decade in time is one of the glaring weaknesses of DA2, along with the MMO combat and recycled areas. And I say this as someone who's played it more than once.

The best things about it imo are Varrick, one of my favourite NPC party members of any RPG (sadly the rest are pretty dull or annoying), and the fact the campaign is reasonably short. More than anything I think that's one of the reasons I've replayed it... though I rate DA3 higher I don't think I could bear the time it takes to play through it again. Was ok once, have no real desire of appetite to do so again. DA2 isn't terrible, just a missed opportunity I think, that needed a lot more time and attention spent on it.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:48 pm

I don't disagree that it wasn't prefect, but it had more interesting ideas in it than DA 3 does and therefore more merit I feel. DA 3 feels like it was made in an RPG factory.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing