Pillars of Eternity [PC] - White March P2 Out Now

The strategy of playing ones role.
Wrathbone

Re: Pillars of Eternity- Out this Thursday Get Hyped!

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:43 am

Finished it yesterday - 42 hours, with everything apart from a couple of companion quests and some bugged quests completed. On the whole I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Some non-spoilery thoughts. First, I think it is fair to compare it to BG as it's obviously very closely modelled around it, and in that respect it works extremely well. It might not be BG3 but it feels like a new BG game, and that's what counts. The conversations and plot take more cues from Planescape: Torment, which is great. The story and history of the world are interesting and detailed, the characters within it are well-written. The combat is challenging and complex, if not as innovative as Divinity: Original Sin. As a first-class RPG it ticks all the boxes.

I didn't get bored at any point, and after finishing the game I disagree that the choices aren't meaningful, as my choices right up until the end had massive consequences in terms of the story. The issues for me were a lack of legendary loot items and the mostly pointless stronghold upgrades. Why is it that every single amazing weapon that I found was a bloody estoc? I don't want an estoc. Nobody in my party is trained with estocs. What the fuck is the difference between a great sword and an estoc anyway? And RPG rule one of allowing you to pay for better merchant options is that they should have something - even one item - worth buying. I've ransacked countless dungeons; I'm so rich I can afford to restore a pile of rubble into the finest keep in the country. So why on earth would I want to trek back to my stronghold to buy a crappy sword that I can buy at literally every other smithy in the world? These are two issues which can hopefully be improved by mods.

As for the homogeneity of it... I'll leave judgement on that until a second run through it. It was specifically designed to be inclusive rather than restrictive in what characters can use and do, so it's kind of intentionally homogeneous. My instinct says that it's a good thing - I like being able to give my chanter a gun rather than a wand - but it could all blend into one after a few goes. I still haven't used half the classes, including the cipher which has had a lot of praise, so there's still plenty left to explore. The chanter is a weird class, and I'm not sure I'd use one again as I found myself using the shortest chants so I could summon stuff quicker. I daresay if you spend a bit of time putting together complex chants then you can cause some interesting effects, but frankly I couldn't be bothered. I found the most useful class was the fighter, because for all the fine intricacies and complexities of the other classes, most fights just needed a tank to wade in and keep things busy. Eder took a hell of a beating. :lol:

Special mention has to go to the stronghold dungeon. I spent maybe 10 hours or more in there, and they were a brilliant 10 hours. Spoilers for those who haven't got to the bottom:

Spoiler: show
That was a bastard of a fight with the Master. I couldn't bring myself to free her, so I went back with my party at level 11 and brought the ruckus. The loot wasn't anything to write home about, but the satisfaction of managing to defeat her after being killed in two hits earlier was good.

Pillars was more or less exactly what I'd hoped it would be - a very well made RPG in the style of BG. I really enjoyed Divinity and Wasteland 2 last year, but given a choice between the three games I'd choose Pillars every day of the week and twice on Sunday. A triumph of a game.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:08 am

Got gifted this and it is really good :D
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:54 pm

Now pissed off that a bug has fucked me over and I'll have to go to a save nearly 3 hours back. "The man who waits" quest is the only bug I have encountered so far but a big one.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:11 pm

Same here but I was a good 15-20 hours in.

uninstalled I'm afraid. Good while it lasted.

Vykromod

Postby Vykromod » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:25 pm

Oh. Wow. I had to look that quest up to remind me which one it was and in the process remembered that I had a huge bug there. Not only does one of the autocomplete suggestions add the word bug to the quest name, the results are for a different game-breaking error than the one I had.
Lo, let be it, for now when Tuesday then cometh with not again, be it another less more it be. Be faith giveth whence came me unto, yet not needeth for unto me, for yet be learn to be. -Zinglon
Huh? -Monses

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:31 pm

Still haven't gone back to this since the last time, nor felt the urge to. A bit surprised, actually. Was looking forward to it, enjoyed it for the first couple of dozen hours and then abruptly hit a bit of a wall (interest-wise) with it. The more I think about it, the more meh I am with it.

It's not a lack of interest in the genre, either. I recently very much enjoyed Divinity OS and Wasteland 2, playing both to completion twice in short order. I may finish it one day, but for the time being don't really feel a driving urge to pick it up again.
My face is tired.

Vykromod

Postby Vykromod » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:18 am

I'm still enjoying myself and intend to play to the seemingly-close ending, but I've never had a point where I think the game is great. It's been consistently good for me. Didn't meet the hopes/expectations I had when I got in on the Kickstarter, but no regrets. Maybe I'd be more annoyed if I'd pledged more than the exact amount for the basic "have a Steam key" level.

Now that I think about it, this proves I'm an awful judge of Kickstarter projects. I enthusiastically threw cash at Obsidian for this and got something enjoyable. I almost didn't plaedge anything for Wasteland 2 since my experiences with inXile products weren't great and loved that. I didn't even pledge to Divinity: Original Sin and also loved that. I ignored Shadowrun due to cynicism over the unknown developer and think the Dragonfall addition is an unappreciated classic.
Lo, let be it, for now when Tuesday then cometh with not again, be it another less more it be. Be faith giveth whence came me unto, yet not needeth for unto me, for yet be learn to be. -Zinglon
Huh? -Monses

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:28 am

I went back and redid all my progress last night after a little cool down time on something else. It's not really soured my experience or drop my feelings that I think it's a pretty damn fantastic old school RPG that I have been missing to play for a very long time.
But I will try to save more often and not play for upto 4-5 hours in one go without doing so :oops:

I do find it odd that in your stronghold you can only select one sleeping bonus when you have pretty much everything built and that you get better bonuses from other Inns dotted around the maps.

But it has spurned me on to play Wasteland 2 after this, forgot I bought it.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:34 am

Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:41 pm

Surely a typo or hasn't it sold that well at all :-k
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:26 pm

Nah, Cdkeys are always alot cheaper, I bought it off them for £12 a couple weeks again.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:54 am

I think it's probably not sold well. Nearly everyone who wanted it backed it or bought it really early. Probably cd keys just wanted to get rid of the keys.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:50 am

I'm not sure you can really make that claim judging off one site. Remember CD Keys were selling Cities: Skyline for £9 not long after release and that sold really well.

I don't think it was ever going to do gangbusters as it is a niche title and yes many people who wanted that type of game would have backed it on Kickstarter, but I don't think it has sold poorly.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue May 05, 2015 5:10 pm

I drifted away from this after 5 or 6 hours. I won't pass judgement on it though, since my apathy towards gaming in general is at an all time high right now - so I'm just going to wait till my interest returns, if it ever does, then try and get into it again.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Wed May 06, 2015 6:55 pm

I am finally going to start it properly. I, too, phased out quite quickly (honestly finding an interesting NPC who was practically identical to my character was bad luck but annoying and deflated me), but intend to try and get stuck in this time.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing