Pillars of Eternity [PC] - White March P2 Out Now

The strategy of playing ones role.
Edwin
the cunt

Re: Pillars of Eternity- Out this Thursday Get Hyped!

Postby Edwin » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:16 pm

Done. Took around 36 hours but I missed the Endless Dungeon and a few other quests

Ending spoilers:
Spoiler: show
The ending didn't make any sense to me, if the gods aren't real why did they have so much power?

Despite trying to role-play as a good guy, I think I got the bad ending. I disintegrated all of the souls, which angered the gods that helped me get to the last part of the game. This meant they went of a killed spree and wiped out whole villages. There was also anti-animancer rioting in the city which resulted in more death and I forgot to kill Raedric again so he killed everyone leaving his hold a desolate wasteland. Oops.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:23 pm

You Edwin.
My face is tired.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:41 pm

Another thing: At no point did I use the Druid NPC, so he didn't even get a mention in the ending, probably for the best. I also worked out why I was struggling so much for the first half of the game. I was using Aloth and the ranger girl in my party, when I switched them for the Cipher NPC and the Chanter I went on a killing spree. Chanters are super overpowered at the end, they have a spell that allows you to summon TWO ogres and those ogres receive the constant buffs chanters give.

I think I'll try playing as a smart arse muscle wizard next.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:13 pm

Aloth has two OP spells, worth using him for those alone, I haven't come across a fight yet I couldn't render almost trivial by using them. Haven't used the druid either ("Hi, you want to join us? Great! Wait for us in the stronghold, I really super-promise we'll definitely come get you at some point"), or the cipher NPC. I didn't like her stats, so I kept the cipher merc I created, he's got the highest kills out of everyone in my party at this point, despite being the last to join.
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:14 am

Haven't played this for a few days. Reached a point after the first zone in Twin Elms where I just got a bit tired of it. Maybe a break will help. Anyone else feeling the same?

I mean, it's very pretty and some of the classes are interesting to play with, but it's maybe a bit, I dunno, shallow I guess? The magic is still pretty boring aside from a couple of OP spells, combat is basically the same all the way through and only the really annoying shades really switch up the formula at all. I've also bounced off a lot of the lore if I'm honest. Armour and weapons not particularly interesting either, most draw from the same pretty shallow pool of enchantments, and none of the 'unique' ones I've found have been any better than the stuff I've crafted myself.

I dunno. I mean, it's obviously a very competent game and fun for the first 30 hours or so (more than most games offer after all). I'm just not convinced it's the BG2-beater I was hoping it could be, and which the media seems to be holding it up as.
My face is tired.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:24 am

To be honest, for some reason, I only got about 5 hours in and got quite bored. Something about it just hasn't clicked with me. Perhaps it's because I am burned out on this kind of game as I played a lot of Icewind Dale late last year. Could just be because the combat system doesn't do it for me, and I dislike some of the features like unlimited arrows and magical insta-NPC buddies you can make in the tavern (the idea that these grim, silent mercs go through hell with you without saying anything is a bit weird to me and makes it really gamey. I know you don't have to use them but it annoys me that they are even there... I'm weird). I figure that at some point I will play right through it and love it, but I've just lost interest right now.

Also yeah, the lore does not grab me at all.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:23 am

I started rushing through the game once I got to Twin Elms, that city is nowhere near as interesting as the first one and there is a lot more combat which just gets boring. I wish it had Divinity: Original Sin's combat system, in fact every RPG should have started using it by now.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:42 am

I actually started a replay of D:OS this morning rather than load up my POE save :oops:

I agree. The plot of D:OS may be its weakest part (it's serviceable but never anything more than that), but the combat means it's interesting to play all the way through, and I've already completed it twice. I played Wasteland 2 a couple of times as well.
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:26 pm

I do feel BG2 has a superior combat system, seems to offer much more flexibility and options - but I don't know if that's simply me knowing BG2 inside out and it's just what I'm used to. But combined with the so-so weapons and odd magic usage here, it just doesn't stand out. Feels clunky.

All the stats and things muddle together and there isn't as much clarity with how each component works I think.

I'll carry on playing through it, still too early to really say how it all works for me.

Vykromod

Postby Vykromod » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:58 pm

katarn wrote:All the stats and things muddle together and there isn't as much clarity with how each component works I think.

That's probably an objective truth. The Infinity Engine games are directly using a pen and paper RPG system that needs to be understandable without electronic aid. I assume it's not 100% faithful, the pausable simultaneous combat doesn't work without a computer, but all the numerical bits are intended to be calculated on the spot by humans. PoE isn't. I see a elements from various editions of D&D, but the exact effects things have aren't as clear as they would be if the game mechanics were intended for use in a non-computer RPG.

To add to recent discussion, I'm not as taken with the game as most people in the thread seemed to be last week, but I was never as enthusiastic about Baldur's Gate as pretty much everyone else. I recognise the BG series as greats, just never was as fond of them as other people were. Right now, I'm feeling overwhelmed. I've got all the party members, loads of quests, and I can't find a direction that's clearly intended for higher-level parties. I can't decide where to go, which of the many things in my journal to do, and who to take along when doing it. I've got option paralysis. It usually only happens when there's perfect level scaling going on and it doesn't matter where I go.
Lo, let be it, for now when Tuesday then cometh with not again, be it another less more it be. Be faith giveth whence came me unto, yet not needeth for unto me, for yet be learn to be. -Zinglon
Huh? -Monses

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:11 pm

I think the stat system is designed to prevent min-maxing, which is annoying because min-maxing is often hilarious.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:23 pm

It's all a bit... homogenous. What I mean by that is, I can't see a second playthrough here being any different to my first (assuming I ever finish it). In trying to create a game where there are no 'bad' choices when creating characters, their intent being that no-one would ever get stuck with an unworkable build, what has happened is that it instead all feels the same. There are no interesting skills to use, no meaningful decisions to make that affect the game world (so no replayability in seeing how different choices affect things). Combat works one way - melee wall to keep foes engaged, hit them from range with crap spells/guns/arrows - or you die.

Trying to think of an example, the one I keep coming back to is Arcanum. In POE, you can't create a retarded ogre who gets patronised by everyone (actually, Fallout did this as well I believe) and hilarity ensues. I remember when I first played that, using my initial 'talk to the dead' spell on all the bodies who died in the opening crash... and the best part was that I could, even though it was completely pointless. It was fun. Another example, playing an insane Malkavian in Vampire: Masquerade, where they'd written completely different, mental, dialogue for that role. Or a Nosferatu, who required a completely different playstyle to avoid being seen.

It's the McDonalds of RPGs... if you're in the mood for it it's enjoyable enough, but it's the same wherever you go and when you've finished you're unlikely to spare it a second thought. It sounds harsh, but a lot of people really like McDonalds. But, to me, it's just not special enough.

I wanted to love this, the more I think about it the more unsure I am about it.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:20 pm

I'm enjoying it for what it is which is a good RPG. It's not a Baldurs Gate 2 beater, but if I'm honest I never thought it could be really. The resources that Obsidian had to put towards this probably pale into comparison to what Bioware had when they did BG2. Added to that is the fact that they obviously had to spend a lot of time coming up with systems and lore whilst Bioware just had to adapt the DnD stuff.

I think it is more comparable to the first Baldurs Gate game, it lays some solid groundwork and if they go on to do another one, then I can see them being able to make the same kind of leap that Bioware did between BG1 and BG2. They will be more familiar with the systems and lore and so can focus on crafting a better game, much like Bioware did with BG2.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:35 pm

You're only 12 hours in, though, Dj. I was still having a ball with it at that stage. I've just reached a point (35 hours in or so) where everything I've been doing has been pretty much the same, and the lack of variety has just kind of killed my enthusiasm for it. If the fights are the same, the choices aren't meaningful and the loot is uninspiring, I've just kind of run out of reasons to keep going to be quite honest.

I haven't even mentioned the stronghold yet. What a waste of everybody's time that is. It's got a dungeon underneath, which is nice. But after that it's just resting bonuses, merchants who don't sell anything useful, and loading screens. Lots of loading screens. It's purpose seems to simply be something to spend your cash on to hide the fact nobody in the game really sells anything you would want to buy.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:11 pm

Yeah I am, but I have similar feelings to you. I still think it is a good RPG despite the flaws. I do think it is suffering from people thinking it was going to BG 3 in all, but name.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing