Pillars of Eternity [PC] - White March P2 Out Now

The strategy of playing ones role.
DjchunKfunK

Pillars of Eternity [PC] - White March P2 Out Now

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:45 am

Obsidian have launched a Kickstarter to get their new game funded. It's called Project Eternity and is an isometric RPG ispired by games such as Icewind Dale, Baldurs Gate and Planescape Tourment. One of the things they focus on in the pitch is that they wont to make an M rated gae so that they can explore mature themes. I'm pretty excited to see what Obsidian can come up with.

So if you have been longing for someone to make a game that apes what was great about those games make sure you click the link and support them. They are looking for $1.1m and have already gone past 800k so it is pretty much going to reach its target which is great news. If you hurry a pledge of just $20 will get you a digital copy of the game on Steam when it launches.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obs ... t-eternity
Last edited by DjchunKfunK on Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Edwin
the cunt

Re: Project Eternity- New Obsidian RPG

Postby Edwin » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:58 am

If they are doing it in the Infinity Engine then at least it stands a chance of working. How fucked up is the industry if Obsidian need to use Kickstarter?
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:10 pm

Depends how mature they want to make it, I guess depending on the content they could have struggled to find a publisher.

But what I really want to know, is Dj getting a cut of the profits or something?
My face is tired.

Zael

Postby Zael » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:55 pm

I'm quite happy they're using Kickstarter. It means for once Obsidian won't get bullied by a publisher into release a buggy, unfinished game. Anyway, this is what I've been waiting for since Kickstarter began, this could be immense.
http://gameviewsonline.blogspot.com

A blog about games - Now with increased vigor!

Updates every Wednesday.

Boomshaka

Postby Boomshaka » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:59 pm

Already nearly made their total!

And I love that t-shirt ^_^

120 bucks for that and the big box nostalgia version? Very maybe possibly.
Will debase self for credits.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:23 pm

Sly Boots wrote:Depends how mature they want to make it, I guess depending on the content they could have struggled to find a publisher.

But what I really want to know, is Dj getting a cut of the profits or something?

I wish.

I doubt it will be in the Infinity Engine as they would have to license that. Plus it wouldn't be up to scratch for current generational PCs. It will most likely use the one they have developed for the South Park game.

Vykromod

Postby Vykromod » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:57 pm

And it's funded. The $1.1m goal has been met already.
Lo, let be it, for now when Tuesday then cometh with not again, be it another less more it be. Be faith giveth whence came me unto, yet not needeth for unto me, for yet be learn to be. -Zinglon
Huh? -Monses

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:14 pm

additional money we raise will go straight into the game to add new levels, companions, NPCs, features, and even entirely new parts of the world which will add hours and hours to the adventure.

If they keep getting funding at this rate they'll have the biggest game ever by the time its all over.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:57 pm

Wow, money reached and still a month to go 0.o
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

S2

Postby S2 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:56 pm

Hope funding doesn't slow down too much now it's reached the target. More this thing gets the better.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:09 am

Wow, if they hit $2 million they'll add a player house. Who knew those things were so expensive?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:05 am

Edwin wrote:Wow, if they hit $2 million they'll add a player house. Who knew those things were so expensive?

Just like real life!

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:17 am

Nice to see it got supported, not sure its my thing though seems a bit neckbeardy to me.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:51 am

First stretch goal has already been reached with the current total at $1.55m so already half way to the second stretch goal. Obsidian have also released a few details about the game including the premise.

"The player witnesses an extraordinary and horrific supernatural event that thrusts them into a unique and difficult circumstance. Burdened with the consequences of this event, the player has to investigate what has happened in order to free themselves from the restless forces that follow and haunt them wherever they go," he wrote.
"Your character is not required to be of any particular race, cultural background, sex, class, moral outlook, personality, organisation, etc. The premise is that you are a victim of circumstance. How you choose to deal with your situation is up to you. You can bear it with stoicism and restraint, or fly off in a rage at anyone who gets in your way. The world will react to your choices, but the game is designed to give you the freedom to play your character the way you want to."

-They have already got an engine in place, one which they have used before.
-Josh Sawyer will be project lead, he was also project lead on New Vegas and has previously worked at Black Isle. Chris Avellone will be concentrating on doing the writing and Tim Cain will handle system mechanics and programming. Depending on the final budget the team will be around 20-30 people.
-The game wont be based on DnD rules, instead it will use their own RPG mechanics. It will also be more fantasy based than say Planescape Tourment.
-Combat will be real-time with pausing with the emphasis on tactics so formations ala Baldurs Gate will be making a return.
-You can have up to 5 other companions, but you will be able to play through the game on your own if you choose.
-Characters have been designed for both mechanical and narrative purposes and have a driving interest in the player's central conflict. They will also, through their actions and personalities, open up plot branches and provide moral problems for the player to solve.
-At a minimum players will be able to specify their characters name, sex, class, race (including sub-race), culture, traits, ability scores, portrait and the fundamental starting options of his or her class (gear, skills, and talents).
-The game will also feature guns.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:39 am

I'm so excited about this! God knows how long it'll take them to release the game though.

Next

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing