Wasteland 2

The strategy of playing ones role.
Wrathbone

Re: Wasteland 2

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:05 pm

I'll probably have a toot on it tonight. I'd started playing Far Cry 4 only discover it's the exact same game as Far Cry 3, so a replay of Wasteland 2 seems much more appealing.

(Not to say FC3 is bad - I very much enjoyed it, but once was enough).
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:06 pm

Wrathbone wrote:I'll probably have a toot on it tonight. I'd started playing Far Cry 4 only discover it's the exact same game as Far Cry 3, so a replay of Wasteland 2 seems much more appealing.

(Not to say FC3 is bad - I very much enjoyed it, but once was enough).

Pretty much my thinking on FC4. Not bought it, don't really intend to.
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:21 pm

Two crashes in ten minutes. Never had this issue with the original version. :?

Photos!

Vykromod

Postby Vykromod » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:16 pm

Initial discovery: Brawling still gets you a 100% critical chance when maxed out. Reassuring, this is not.
Lo, let be it, for now when Tuesday then cometh with not again, be it another less more it be. Be faith giveth whence came me unto, yet not needeth for unto me, for yet be learn to be. -Zinglon
Huh? -Monses

Vykromod

Postby Vykromod » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:51 pm

Wrathbone wrote:Two crashes in ten minutes. Never had this issue with the original version. :?

I've been doing a bit of reading around the Director's Cut and found a lot of people reporting crashes. There's a possible solution here. That page blames the problems on non-DX11 compatible or below min spec machines, which doesn't match what people are reporting, but it might be worth a shot to get it working.

General opinion seems to be that it needs a patch for that and some other problems that have appeared.
Lo, let be it, for now when Tuesday then cometh with not again, be it another less more it be. Be faith giveth whence came me unto, yet not needeth for unto me, for yet be learn to be. -Zinglon
Huh? -Monses

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:58 pm

I noticed the DC updating on Steam yesterday, possibly a patch to fix some of the problems, but I've not investigated.
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:04 pm

Vykromod wrote:
Wrathbone wrote:Two crashes in ten minutes. Never had this issue with the original version. :?

I've been doing a bit of reading around the Director's Cut and found a lot of people reporting crashes. There's a possible solution here. That page blames the problems on non-DX11 compatible or below min spec machines, which doesn't match what people are reporting, but it might be worth a shot to get it working.

General opinion seems to be that it needs a patch for that and some other problems that have appeared.

Cheers, I'll see how it goes now. After the initial problems I did get a couple of hours with no issues, so maybe it's just the first area.

EDIT - Aaaaaand it's crashed. :(

Photos!

Vykromod

Postby Vykromod » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:53 am

Damn. Thought I'd stumbled onto something good there.

I found that while looking into whether the Director's Cut properly addresses the massive, glaring imbalances the original had in its combat skills. The answer seems to be: sort of.

One of the big additions is perks. A huge number of these have prerequisites involving reaching a specific level in a given combat skill, and some of them tell you a lot about the intended niche for a given weapon type. The handguns skill unlocks a series of perks that each give a small chance for a pistol attacks to take no AP, highlighting that they're meant to be quick weapons. Other weapon types have perks that remove a weakness they used to have. Advancing in sniper rifles gives a series of perks that drastically reduces the penalties for shooting when someone's in melee range.

Assault rifles, widely accepted as massively overpowered in the base game, get a useful but fairly dull set of perks. Outside of that, they've been toned down so they won't outrange sniper rifles and their bursts fire fewer bullets so the total damage is lower. They're now generally good all-rounders with a particular edge in medium-range fights. Seeing as that describes about 85% of all fights, they're still going to be an excellent choice. It looks like most things are better in their niches while the assault rifle excels in a common situation.

Still no word on whether Brawling is ridiculously powerful. It's still going to be throwing lots of critical hits around, but no-one seems to know if those hits have hilariously high base damage or not.

In short: This doesn't seem to be the massive rebalancing fix people were hoping for. It's a nice excuse to replay the game and make different choices, and it looks much nicer. It was also free for owners of the original version so, you know, can't really complain there.
Huh? -Monses

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:25 pm

So with me having completed witcher 3 twice, and waiting for The Division to drop properly I dithered about what to play. I remembered speaking to a friend at work about wasteland 2 and thought id revisit it. I'd played the non DC version and found that although it was good something else came out and took my attention so I ended up never finishing it. Thought id try out the DC version.

I'm massively loving this now. The hours just fly by in this. Love the looting, skill use that makes you really think about what you are doing and whether to take that 45% chance to open etc. The story is the usual fare for the genre but the addition of lots more spoken lines is great. I'm not a huge fan of this sort of game but this has really won me over. It has this great way of making you just take a look around the next corner, chat to that next npc, open that next loot container. Its everything that the fallout series has left behind for me.

For a kickstarted game there a huge amount of value here and the devs should be massively applauded for what they've managed. Another lesson to the big boys here.

Previous

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing