Project Cars

The strategy of playing ones role.
Lee

Re: Project Cars

Postby Lee » Tue May 12, 2015 6:37 pm

Might help you Wrathbone for getting the most out of a feedback system when you go for the steering wheel combo.

Formerly MrAnnoyed

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue May 12, 2015 7:00 pm

Cheers - can't afford a great wheel just yet, but I've caved and got the game (downloading now) and I've dug out my old MS Sidewinder wheel. It's not force feedback and it has all the handling excellence of a pig in a snowstorm, but I reckon it will still be better than a controller for now.

My initial plan is to turn off all assists and see what I can manage, which will be interesting since I've not driven a real car for over 2 years. :D
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue May 12, 2015 8:33 pm

Played just over an hour and I'm very impressed. As predicted, I'm undeniably awful, but it's a shitload of fun and it's not impenetrably difficult, even with all driving assists off and realism settings on. I struggled a lot with some cars (RIP Ariel Atom :cry: ); others I could feel myself improving with quickly. I might start career mode properly with Formula Rookie because the car is very forgiving without sacrificing speed or manoeuvrability. I'll need to turn the AI difficulty up a bit though because on the easiest setting I came second in my first race - with some hefty rule breaking, I should add - and won my second race (fairly).

I'm surprised how well my old wheel handles it - perfectly playable and responsive, with none of the deadzone issues I've heard people complaining about. I'll probably still get a better wheel eventually, but this is fine for the time being.

Photos!

cHeal

Postby cHeal » Tue May 12, 2015 8:36 pm

Wrathbone wrote:Played just over an hour and I'm very impressed. As predicted, I'm undeniably awful, but it's a shitload of fun and it's not impenetrably difficult, even with all driving assists off and realism settings on. I struggled a lot with some cars (RIP Ariel Atom :cry: ); others I could feel myself improving with quickly. I might start career mode properly with Formula Rookie because the car is very forgiving without sacrificing speed or manoeuvrability. I'll need to turn the AI difficulty up a bit though because on the easiest setting I came second in my first race - with some hefty rule breaking, I should add - and won my second race (fairly).

I'm surprised how well my old wheel handles it - perfectly playable and responsive, with none of the deadzone issues I've heard people complaining about. I'll probably still get a better wheel eventually, but this is fine for the time being.

For a real challenge ( and great fun ) you should try the BAC mono. It's as mad as a bag of cats!

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue May 12, 2015 8:43 pm

Was gonna go watch some TV, but sod it - let's see what happens!

EDIT - I actually managed to get it round Monza a couple of times, with only one slide into the barriers, five or six near-spins and one jaunt across a field. :lol: But yes, that is a handful of a car. A bit beyond my comfort zone for now!

Photos!

cHeal

Postby cHeal » Tue May 12, 2015 9:16 pm

I love driving it on oulton park international. The British tracks are laser scanned so have more bumps and camber changes. It's utterly compelling to keep it on the track. not sure how possible it would be to drive without ffb.

Another car I love is the lotus f1 car, 78 I think. It is incredibly fast but has a tone of grip. It existed during an era when downforce advanced a lot but the power unit hadn't moved on much since the 60s so you get this imbalance of mega grip with strong raw power.

Generally adore the small British tracks but Watkins Glen is quite special to. nordschleife is good with the lotus too, but very very difficult.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Tue May 12, 2015 9:54 pm

And I'm caving in and buying. Purely for the Forumla cars. I cannot wait to get my hands on this. I'll give my g27 a real test. Is there an option to use the click shifters as manual? My gear shifter doesn't stick to my desk well enough to use.

cHeal

Postby cHeal » Tue May 12, 2015 10:08 pm

you can bind it to whatever you want I think. I change between sequential stick and steering shifts

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Wed May 13, 2015 2:23 am

BROOM BROOM!!!

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:21 am

cHeal

Postby cHeal » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:46 am

Had a go of some online racing last week and found it really really great. Was on good servers with good people and was competitive which was nice. Got Pole for a race but a couple of small errors meant I finished 3rd. Great fun and I hope I'll have more time to play over the next few months.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:05 am

Sooooo.... good a place as at to ask. Thinking I might get a wheel. G27 used at £160 or T150 new at £160? The PS4 compatibility of the T150 is nice but then why would I when my PC is about 10 times more powerful? The G27 coming with a stick shift is a big plus because paddles don't click in my brain though you can add a stick to the T150...

Thoughts?

Or any other options?

edit: nevermind, just bought a G25 with a "Wheel stand pro" for £130. That'll do because I usually come and go with racing games anyway. ;)
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Previous

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing