Rome 2: Total War - Attila is Coming!

The strategy of playing ones role.
Gibby

Re: Rome 2: Total War - Out September 3rd

Postby Gibby » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:22 pm

I love how they've made the AI more capable of using the magic gate-destroying torches, despite it being a feature nearly everyone hates. I have to admit that this is the most disappointing Total War I've ever played. I even enjoyed Empire more than this. Way more. I mean, this thread alone is so quiet that it speaks volumes. I don't even have Rome 2 installed anymore. It's only been out for 2.5 months, and it's a Total War game! I should be playing the hell out of it!

Maybe it's worth another go with this latest patch... but ultimately, something just feels missing from it.

katarn

Postby katarn » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:00 pm

I have to say, the sheer amount of stuff in that patch 7 list is staggering. And it all seems basic pre-release testing stuff.

Was there pressure from Sega I wonder? CA should have perhaps moved it to a Q1 2014 release.

Zael

Postby Zael » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:18 pm

What I find strange is the lack of reaction to the complete clusterfuck of a game this is. I mean, to me, this is as bad as Aliens:Colonial Marines and forums + critics were absolutely up in arms about that game for ages and continue to spit every time it's name is mentioned. But the reaction to Rome 2 seems be be mostly a sullen shrug. Obviously there's a lot of disappointed people, but I haven't seen the usual fire that the internet so often provides.
http://gameviewsonline.blogspot.com

A blog about games - Now with increased vigor!

Updates every Wednesday.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:27 pm

Zael wrote:What I find strange is the lack of reaction to the complete clusterfuck of a game this is. I mean, to me, this is as bad as Aliens:Colonial Marines and forums + critics were absolutely up in arms about that game for ages and continue to spit every time it's name is mentioned. But the reaction to Rome 2 seems be be mostly a sullen shrug. Obviously there's a lot of disappointed people, but I haven't seen the usual fire that the internet so often provides.

The official forums are/were awash with mega-rage, but yes, the critics lapped this shithole game up. Speaks of bribes to me. There was some article where CA basically said theirs and Sega's goal was to get the best metacritic score they could at the expense of everything. The integrity of the game among everything I suppose.

Reiver

Postby Reiver » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:07 pm

Yeah, the game director (I think), Tim Heaton said that their development process was based around achieveing a certain metacritic score (which they haven't hit). Features and systems that he felt weren't going to help them reach that were cut even if they were "90% done". It all sounds a terrible way to go about developing a game, all flash and pizzazz aimed at giving the critics who're mostly not experienced with the type of game and wont play it for a long time a wow factor. It sounds a little Betheda style to me. Giving the illusion of choice, depth and scale. I'd like to have seen RPS or someone really pick up on this. Total Biscuit did but he's not really in my awareness of gaming media and as far as i know it was just a small portion 2 thirds into one of his videos (the guys voice and manner grates too much to listen, even when he talks sense).

Tbh though i think there's a decent game there. I've had a fair bit of fun so far but ultimately the warscape engine lets it down. Stupid things like the targetting of the centre of a unit and the knock on effects that has for combat (silliness like rotating lines, blobbing cohesion) seem to be hard coded into the engine and so much of what CA seem to have done seem to be bodging workarounds for the failings. This has been the case from the start. can't get soldiers to siege properly, just give them all spidermen ropes (or here burn the gates down). Can't program the AI to use navies sensibly, just make all armies turn into transport ships. Can't make the AI move its pieces on land cleverly, turn the land into corridors of limited movement.

Now don't get me wrong some of these workarounds are for the most part acceptable to me. The corridoring especially worked really well in S2 and made for the best campaign map experience since they went 3d but at the same time it's just covering up for deficiencies which 8 or so years into an engine feels wrong.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:34 pm

Emperor edition announced...

Free to all existing owners.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:47 pm

But it's not out for 4 days!
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:06 am

Looking forward to seeing these balance changes. The vanilla battles were rubbish as they went so fast you couldn't really do anything other than rush, flank, mop up. God help you if you wanted to sit and enjoy the lovely combat animations - you'd see two before one side routed. Looks like siege AI may finally work as well.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:31 pm

http://wiki.totalwar.com/index.php?titl ... :_Patch_15 Patch notes for the beta of Emperor Edition. Quite excited to try this, battle changes:

Land Battle Changes

Units with precursor weapons can now fire at will when stationary.
The pace of battles and combat has been reduced, and morale values adjusted so battles last longer and are more dynamic.
Axe and shield animation set based on existing animations added to the game.
Balancing changes to almost all units.

Naval Battle Balancing Changes

Speed of all ships reduced.
Ship artillery accuracy reduced.
Transport ships ramming damage significantly reduced.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:00 pm

Sounds like a brand new game. Stopped playing since patch 9 because all the patching overrode the mods I added from Steam workshops and the game crashed.

Might revisit this now with patch 15, un-modded and see how it plays. Still prefer to have no squalor.
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Rochard / RTW 2

gpa-gone-west

Re: Rome 2: Total War?

Postby gpa-gone-west » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:44 pm

cHeal wrote:Medieval is still my favourite.

Installed it a few days and after some bother, got it working. It's just sublime.

Medieval 2 messed up the traits and RPG elements but perhaps I'll give it another go. Really liked Empire as a change. Haven't had a chance with Shogun 2 yet.

I must admit I prefer the original Medieval, wish i could find the dam thing and re-install it again.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:16 pm

Do you know that you cannot get Medieval 1 anymore. I have it on physical disc somewhere but wanted a digital copy and as far as I know it is unattainable. Which is a shame

Gibby

Re: Rome 2: Total War?

Postby Gibby » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:22 pm

gpa-gone-west wrote:
cHeal wrote:Medieval is still my favourite.

Installed it a few days and after some bother, got it working. It's just sublime.

Medieval 2 messed up the traits and RPG elements but perhaps I'll give it another go. Really liked Empire as a change. Haven't had a chance with Shogun 2 yet.

I must admit I prefer the original Medieval, wish i could find the dam thing and re-install it again.

I think may have a spare copy knocking about somewhere. If I find it I'll send you it!

katarn

Postby katarn » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:57 pm

It's meant to be an absolute nightmare to get working on Win7/8+modern video cards. There's all kinds of fixes, config updates you have to try, etc. And even then it can apparently still crash randomly often. XP compatibility mode only partially reduces the crashing.

So don't go hunting too much for a copy. It might be in vain.

It's a shame they can't give it to GOG or something and get it all sorted properly.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:59 pm

completely agree = Saga are losing a lot of money sitting on the table for those wanting to revisit the game. The music was hauntingly good

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing