Marvel Heroes F2P RPG

The strategy of playing ones role.
Prey
Admin

Marvel Heroes F2P RPG

Postby Prey » Wed May 23, 2012 10:49 pm

Marvel Heroes is a free-to-play MMO Action RPG created by David Brevik, the visionary behind Diablo.

Marvel Heroes combines core gameplay elements of Diablo with the expansive library of heroes from the Marvel Universe, including all your favorite Avengers.

Collect and play as your favorite Marvel Super Heroes including Iron Man, Thor, Black Widow, Captain America, Wolverine, Hulk and many others.

Team up online with friends and customize your heroes with a library of spectacular powers, costumes, and gear.

Adventure through the Marvel Universe and stop Doctor Doom from devastating the world with the power of the Cosmic Cube.

Features a world-spanning story crafted by comic book super-scribe Brian Michael Bendis.

0:25 Deadpool! :D

http://www.marvelheroes.com/
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Quietman

Re: Marvel Heroes F2P RPG

Postby Quietman » Thu May 24, 2012 9:12 am

F2P? I'll give it a shot, why not!
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

DjchunKfunK

Re: Marvel Heroes F2P RPG

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:23 am

So they re-release this game every year with a new version that has minor tweaks to it and I thought I would give it a shot after seeing it on the Steam front page over the weekend.

This game is basically Diablo in the Marvel Universe, but free to play and all online. I've only played up to level 10 so far, but I've enjoyed what I've played. It gets the stuff right that you need to with these types of games ie the shower of loot and the constant level progression. The combat is also nice and meaty with the kind of visual spectacle and audio bombast you would expect from a superhero type game.

As for playing the game you are working through a story which splits the game up into chapters and has you taking on various super villains. There are also various side quests you can pick up as you go through the game and each major hub has a variety of event style quests which pop up every so often. There is a countdown at the top of the screen which tells you when the next event is going to start, but it would be nice if you could more easily locate where these are taking place on the map.

As for the free to play stuff they allow you to play any of the starter heroes, of which there are a fair few, up to level 10 and then you have the choice to continue playing just the one up to the level cap. Once you have picked the hero you want I think you are locked into this hero, but you might still be able to play other heroes up to level 10, I'm not sure. However you can also buy heroes using either one of the many in-game currencies or real money. Heroes you buy can be taken up to the level cap. Other than that as I said there are a variety of currencies that can be earned in game that allow you to buy stuff like new heroes, hero costumes, weapon and armour crates which spit out random items and something to do with a Super Team which I'm not sure I understand at the moment.

So the free to play stuff is fairly innocuous stuff and can be totally ignored. The stuff you would want, like new heroes and even the costumes can be bought via in-game currency which you earn via quest rewards and as drops. So I think they have done a good job with integrating this stuff into the game.

However there are a few issues I currently have with the game. One I've already mentioned, there are a lot of currencies and it is unclear as to what a lot of the do as the game doesn't tell you. It makes me think that the game could turn into a bit of a grind where you have to farm these currencies up in order to get end game items. The other major gripe I have is the mission log. There appears to be no way to set the mission you currently want to track. The game just picks one from the list you have for the area you are in and puts a waypoint on the map. The log itself is also a bit of a mess and hard to parse. Everything is broken up into chapters, but it is quite easy to accidentally move the story forward and still have quests left to do in previous chapters as you can't decide which quests you want to tackle in which order. It seems like such a strange oversight, so much so that I feel I must be missing something.

Overall I've enjoyed what I've played so far. As I said it has that arpg pat down well so you are just click, click, clicking along gaining levels, getting new skills and new loot. It's also nice to play an arpg that isn't fantasy based. People should give it a look as I think there is a pretty good arpg there and it's free.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing