Medicine Man

Re: The Elder Scrolls Online - Is Online

Postby Medicine Man » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:44 pm

:lol:

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:40 am

I have been back for a little play since it went F2P and...it's alright.

The quest mechanism is quite Elder Scrolls-y, and now that there are not thousands of players all cramming through the same content, my gripe from the early days of the game no longer holds true:

Snowy wrote:Questing is not without one major issue though – most of the world is not instanced to you/your group. I imagine that as the game gets older this will be less of an issue, but currently it is a huge immersion breaker – allow me to explain: You have been given a quest to do something which will generally be pretty significant to the area concerned. You follow the initial steps, and the story opens up to you. You know what you need to do and why. For the sake of argument you have to enter a tomb and kill the necromancer that is threatening the town with an undead army, and take the source of his power from a chest. You follow a couple more quest steps to get said tomb opened, and step inside… An empty corridor stretches ahead of you – normally there would be some resistance, but the swarm of other players on exactly the same quest have already killed them. You walk through the empty tomb and emerge into a large chamber just in time to see the necromancer fall to the blows of the 10 other players in there, walk up to the now unguarded chest, take the item and walk out. Quest complete, the townsfolk cheer you for your heroic deed of…going for a short walk then picking something up.

In fact, now it works quite nicely as the F2P element has attracted players back. No longer are there swarms of adventurey types around every quest, but you do often find another player in the same caverns as you, which can lead to some friendly helping out of one another.

So yes, not bad. Worth a look if you had already bought the game or think that the base game cost and no subs is tempting. And for the console market which isn't exactly awash with MMOs, it might be a hit, who knows.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:37 am

With the launch on consoles the game has inexplicably gone back to the top of the charts. I guess people will buy anything with the Elder Scrolls name on it.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:26 pm

Snowy wrote:And for the console market which isn't exactly awash with MMOs, it might be a hit, who knows.

Or this :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:52 pm

New expansion announced. Called Orsinium and is the largest yet. Comes out on the 2nd of November on PC and two weeks later for the consoles. The cost is £14.99 or 3000 Elder Scrolls Funbucks.

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:34 pm

Is this any good in general then? f2p now right?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:40 am

Bethesda really want you to play Elder Scrolls Online.

https://millionreasons.elderscrollsonline.com/?lang=en

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:41 pm

Screams of desperation :?

£20 on Steam at the moment as well to entice people in. Still not good enough to convince me.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:49 pm

Picked this up for £7 on cdkeys.com. I'll probably regret it, but if it's improved as much since release as I've heard then it may be worth some time.

More likely I've just wasted £7. :?

Photos!

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:53 pm

Well, if you have, then I've maybe wasted £14, because I just bought it for Monica and I (we were talking about buying it at christmas, but decided £20 was too steep a price for something we'd not tried).

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:44 am

Had a quick go the other night - the combat has improved slightly since the beta and there's now controller support, which helps with it feeling less like an MMO. It's not terrible in general, it's just not particularly good. The real test will be whether I get any longevity out of it.

Photos!

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:46 pm

Wrathbone wrote:Had a quick go the other night - the combat has improved slightly since the beta and there's now controller support, which helps with it feeling less like an MMO. It's not terrible in general, it's just not particularly good. The real test will be whether I get any longevity out of it.

I really liked it when it was first released. But after almost three months I was bored. Havent been back since. I may have a dabble again now there is a none subscriber mode.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:40 pm

We started playing this morning. It's definitely different feeling to WoW, which makes a change in this genre. I really like the apparent freedom of choice in skill selections, letting you choose whichever weapon or armour style that you want regardless of your chosen class. I stuck with a sorcerer to begin with, but I think I may go with a melee focus.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:19 pm

The freedom to develop/kit out your character how ever you want is really nice. No restrictions there. The three starter islands are pretty good, and diverse, a nice introduction to the game mechanics. Crafting is a doddle. Even I can kit myself out in a full set of armour and weapons.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:05 am

This is super cheap again on CDKeys so thinking about picking it up. Any thoughts on it's quality from people who play it? I hear the PvP is pretty good.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing