Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC) 24th August

The strategy of playing ones role.
Scrappy

Re: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC) 24th August

Postby Scrappy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:26 am

They aren't easy. Probably a big sticking point for many. My advice is to get the tail on the first one. It takes it health down quite a bit. Then it's just a case of juggling the two.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:44 pm

I did it! With Zweihander+2 I annihilated the fuckers. I don't really know where to go next; I've just been exploring. I don't wanna try the Catacombs yet because it's dark as hell, I don't wanna try New Londo because...Ghosts. I've checked out the Darkroot areas, might make that my next port of call.

Death awaits, either way I suppose.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:10 pm

Either explore the garden and basin or backtrack on yourself and find the lower undead burg. The burg is where you ultimately should go to progress the main quest, but the garden can be done at pretty much any time.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:57 pm

I don't have the key for the door that leads to havel (I know about him because in my first ever DS attempt I took the master key). I know of no other way to descend.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:47 pm

That's not actually the way down to the lower burg, that's the shortcut into the bottom of the garden. Look again, you should have the right key by now if you were thorough. ;)

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:50 pm

Hmmmmmm. I'll get back on it tonight.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:39 pm

I ended up having a break from this game for a couple of months, mostly because I was sidetracked by other games. Having come back to it, I have just descended into Blight Town (technically for the 2nd time as I went and lit the bonfire before backtracking). It's fucking HARD, but I really dig the atmosphere for this section. I've died twice when I get to the bottom, but I shall persevere.

I find the game strangely compelling, even though sometimes I feel at a total loss; like I'm just getting nowhere fast. For example, after I exited Blight Town when I realised that it was gonna be tough as fuck, I tried to finish off the Darkroot areas; I managed the butterfly without much fuss, Havel eventually fell after many retries, but that fucking hydra just became an unbearable chore. I think I made it to the rocks near the water once. I figured that I'd come back to the prick later.

Next, I decided, that I would go back and square up to the stray demon at the Asylum again - I skirted round that room after clearing the rest of the Asylum the first time that I returned. Not much better there, I'm afraid. His ANNOYING AS FUCK area attack just burst me every time. I tried keeping my distance a little behind him, did pitiful damage to his anus with zweihander+5 before getting flattened. I figured that I'd come back to this prick later.

The strange thing is, I started enjoying it a lot more again after I went back to Blight Town. I much prefer the difficult slog through an ever increasingly dangerous area than I do fighting some behemoth with a massive health bar. I feel that I am progressing that way, slowly but surely. I know that when I died that I made fatal mistakes. With some of the bosses it just feels a bit cheaper (hydra's ridiculous water-spit-thingy, stray demon's firey flatulence).

All in all, I do really like the game - particularly the oppressive atmosphere. I just feel that some of the boss encounters that I have had so far mar the experience a bit. Maybe I'm just so used to an experience where you are led to the next tier of boss as you progress through the game in a more manufactured path.

I shall persevere.

I shall prevail!

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:33 pm

This bit in Anor Londo with the archer knights is really starting to piss me off.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:00 pm

Yep! And the worst part is you have arguably the hardest boss fight in front of you too. Archers took a while. Once you figure their pattern out it's easy to get up there, kill one and get around the corner before the other hits you. There's also a nice little pull level when you get inside the building that opens a gate so you don't have to deal with them again. Keep at it though. Dark Souls starts to get real interesting after that part.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:44 am

Dark Souls is being moved from GFWL to Steam next month. You will be allowed to move your saves and your achievements to Steam. All you need to do is find your GFWL Token and activate it on Steam. The link below shows you how to find your token.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/billing/p ... ive-tokens

The window in which you can transfer your saves and achievements over will be limited so you will want to do this as soon as you can. I guess this also means that the multiplayer is safe and it will probably be a bit easier to find coop partners with everybody moving over to Steam.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:00 pm

Does this apply if you bought the game through Steam? I logged into GFWL but could find no token for Dark Souls. Even though I am logged into GFWL when it boots up, I alway run the game through Steam. I'll be mega pissed if I lose all of my progress.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:51 pm

I don't think it applies to Steam copies. All my DS saves are stored locally in my Steam drive and are backed up onto the Cloud.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:33 pm

It's retail copies only. Unfortunately someone has Already registered my retail key to a different Steam account so I can transfer my stuff over to Steam. :(

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:07 am

Ah, cool. I was a bit worried when I couldn't find the token in GFWL. I'm just about to fight Artorias and if I'd lost all of my progress I doubt that I would've started again.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:56 am

The GFWL migration has finally gone live. You have until the 16th of February to get your data moved over, then the game will run exclusively on Steamworks. Full instructions on what to do depending on your version of the game can be found here.

Somebody has stolen my CD key and already registered it to an account, so it looks like I am going to have to buy this game again in order to play it in the future.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing