Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC) 24th August

The strategy of playing ones role.
DjchunKfunK

Re: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC) 24th August

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:36 pm

Sigur Ros wrote:I think Mantis is right, but I know where you're coming from Wrath. Once you get past Capra Demon it should click with you. I really had a hard time and didn't enjoy playing it until something clicked about 4 hours in. Keep at it, once you get past this boss things get interesting. If you don't like it after Capra Demon, then fair enough. It's a bit of a bitch at first, but it's such a good game once you get into it.

He's doing the boss before the Capra Demon. If he doesn't like the Taurus Demon he is going to hate the Capra Demon. :P You could always summon some help if you want to get past the boss Wraith.

Personally though I think the bosses are fair it's just that they hit harder and have a larger health bar, so you can't get away with silly mistakes like you can when fighting normal enemies. You have to be pretty much perfect if you want to beat them. It's all about patience really, but I can understand why it doesn't click with some people. Maybe you need to have a bit of a masochistic personality to like it. :)
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:38 pm

Capra is probably the biggest trial for new players, you need to be really nimble to dodge that initial storm that comes at you the second you move through the gate.

And Wrath, it's not 'random' or down to luck. When you get the hang of it you can literally run through that first boss in about ten seconds without taking a single hit because you know exactly how to dodge each attack. That's the thing with each enemy in this game; they all have multiple attack animations and each one often has a completely different area of attack, so you might dodge one blow and then get wiped out on the second because you tried to dodge in the same way. Just ask Sigur how easy it can be, he was stuck on the gargoyles for ages until we finally managed to get a co-op game going, then we smashed them in about a minute.

One tip that you may not necessarily have picked up on, is that when you're strafing close to an enemy to get underneath his attacks, you're almost always better off strafing in the direction he swings so that you stay ahead of the blow. Also, for the really big enemies it's usually advisable to not use the lock-on system because it allows far greater freedom of movement and you don't need to have your view locked right on him if you pay attention to his cues for each attack.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:17 pm

Killed the fucker. RAWWWRR! :x

Now there is a big scary dragon who is angry with me. :(
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:31 pm

Wrathbone wrote:Killed the fucker. RAWWWRR! :x

Now there is a big scary dragon who is angry with me. :(

Don't worry you don't HAVE to kill him.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:54 pm

If you're playing on PS3 or PC and do get utterly stuck at one point then give me a shout on Steam. I've got characters at pretty much every point in the game free for co-op.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:29 am

Cheers - I'd have to sort out GFWL first though. :? Playing offline at the moment. It keeps trying to update GFWL but nothing happens when it appears to have finished, I guess because GFWL has shut down now.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:51 am

GFWL doesn't shut down until later this year. You may need to try and install GFWL again if it is not updating properly.

If you do plan to try some coop then you might want to get the following mod as it helps to connect you to your friends.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/211420/di ... 278734403/

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:04 pm

Just about to start playing this. Technically, I have played this up until the Gargoyles before, but this time I intend to man up and get shit done!

Wish me luck.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:09 pm

Godspeed.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:14 pm

It would help if the game would fucking WORK! It won't even launch without a "Dark Souls.exe bla bla bla has stopped working" as soon as the window appears. I've restarted, re-installed...

The game is pissing me off before I've even had a chance to be killed multiple times.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Update GFX card drivers. Also fan patch, and if your using the patch disable AA.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:45 pm

It's cool, I've sorted it: I hadn't even got to the point of DSfix, it was GFWL being utter shit. My first experience with it - unimpressed.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:18 pm

Fucking Gargoyles, again! Argh!

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:21 am

Go human and you can summon and NPC to help you just before you get to them. They're pretty easy with the two of you.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:10 am

Yeah, I just don't really want to summon Solaire as it would cheapen my victory. Pride: my true cause of death.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing