Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC) 24th August

The strategy of playing ones role.
DjchunKfunK

Re: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC) 24th August

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:30 pm

Wrathbone wrote:You're missing the point - assuming they had the time, resources, etc, to add in a lower difficulty which was all wonderfully balanced, that would not dilute your experience of the game as it is on the current level of difficulty. Aside from it being arguably impractical to implement at this point, I don't see any philosophical problem with it.

As I explained in my post in order to do this they would have had to change fundamentally how the game played. For instance the enemies are not hard to kill in that they don't have lots of hit points so in order to make it easier you would have to change the combat in some way. This would then lead to two different forms of combat for the two difficulty settings something which no developer would go into a game looking to create.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:33 pm

I'm sure once I've broken through the wall I'll be defending it to my dying breath. But until then I'm going to rail against it because I want to play a game that's too hard for me. :lol:
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Adalaar
Augmented

Postby Adalaar » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:33 pm

Wrathbone wrote:You're missing the point - assuming they had the time, resources, etc, to add in a lower difficulty which was all wonderfully balanced, that would not dilute your experience of the game as it is on the current level of difficulty. Aside from it being arguably impractical to implement at this point, I don't see any philosophical problem with it.

As the game is marketed and known by being methodically difficult.It's what From are known for if they chucked in a lower difficulty they would lose a lot of their fans.
cHeal wrote: I don't care one way or another whether GamerGate is all white or all black migrant transgender midget. .

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:34 pm

Personally speaking, I don't have a problem with dying easily. My only "issue" as it were is just the time it consumed - I like the game and the atmosphere and the difficulty but not being able to dip in for a little bit because you can't make progress and then save is a bit of a killer on my ability to play it.

But then that's my issue, not the games.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:47 pm

second_base wrote:

As the game is marketed and known by being methodically difficult.It's what From are known for if they chucked in a lower difficulty they would lose a lot of their fans.

I can appreciate that difficulty is what it's known for, that's fair enough (although I thought it had a lot more going for it than that). What I can't understand is why fans would abandon it because a lower difficulty was included. This is what makes it seem elitist to me. It's as if fans wouldn't be able to stand the thought of 'lesser' players being able to enjoy their game as well, as if it was encroaching upon them in any way whatsoever.

Photos!

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:10 pm

Perhaps some of the fans might be elitist in how they see it, but I very much doubt that the devs would ever have any sentiment like that. As I already said, not every game has to be for everyone, and that isn't an elitist idea. Nothing ever has to have universal appeal. Ultimately the developers dreamed up a difficult game and that is how they want people to experience it, with a sense of dread. Sure they probably could have implemented a difficulty slider if they really wanted to, but that is not in the spirit of the philosophy behind this game. This way, everyone has the same experience, of a bleak world full of danger, it's like an artistic statement as much as it's 'just another videogame' made for entertainment purposes.

This game is as close to a piece of art as any game has ever achieved.

Quietman wrote:Personally speaking, I don't have a problem with dying easily. My only "issue" as it were is just the time it consumed - I like the game and the atmosphere and the difficulty but not being able to dip in for a little bit because you can't make progress and then save is a bit of a killer on my ability to play it.

You realise that the game saves your progress every time you quit, right? It'll respawn all the enemies in the area when you load but you'll still be stood where you left off. You don't have to save at a bonfire.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:33 pm

Mantis wrote:Perhaps some of the fans might be elitist in how they see it, but I very much doubt that the devs would ever have any sentiment like that. As I already said, not every game has to be for everyone, and that isn't an elitist idea. Nothing ever has to have universal appeal. Ultimately the developers dreamed up a difficult game and that is how they want people to experience it, with a sense of dread. Sure they probably could have implemented a difficulty slider if they really wanted to, but that is not in the spirit of the philosophy behind this game. This way, everyone has the same experience, of a bleak world full of danger, it's like an artistic statement as much as it's 'just another videogame' made for entertainment purposes.

Thanks, that's by far the best argument I've read in favour of one difficulty.

I still want it to be easier. ¬_¬

Photos!

Zael

Postby Zael » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:07 pm

This kind of reminds me of the argument I had with a friend of mine who was playing Xcom for the first time (The Firaxis version). He believed that the game would be better if you had an option to turn off permanent death because he wanted the challenge of the battles but without the severe punishment of losing soldiers. My argument was that permanent death was fundamental to the way an XCom game played and that while that option might appeal to a wider audience they would be diluting the identity of their game. I kind of feel that applies to Dark Souls and the difficulty.
http://gameviewsonline.blogspot.com

A blog about games - Now with increased vigor!

Updates every Wednesday.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:20 am

Mantis wrote:
Quietman wrote:Personally speaking, I don't have a problem with dying easily. My only "issue" as it were is just the time it consumed - I like the game and the atmosphere and the difficulty but not being able to dip in for a little bit because you can't make progress and then save is a bit of a killer on my ability to play it.

You realise that the game saves your progress every time you quit, right? It'll respawn all the enemies in the area when you load but you'll still be stood where you left off. You don't have to save at a bonfire.

:lol: I didn't, no!
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:48 pm

So I played two hours of Dark Souls yesterday and got nowhere. I almost threw my controller through the TV and vowed never to play it again.

I've just played another two hours. I diligently leveled up, mastered melee tactics and read up on strategies for beating the Taurus Demon. After seven or eight attempts, the best I'd managed was to get him to half health. I have a few things to say:

Fuck Dark Souls. Fuck it sideways. Fuck it lengthways. Fuck it with a 20ft fishfork. Fuck it for all eternity. Fuck it until there's nothing left of it to fuck. I hate this fucking game.

I'll try again tomorrow. :x

Photos!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:05 pm

Easiest way to beat the first boss is to turn around when you go through the fog . There is a ladder that will allow you to climb the tower. From there you can do a special attack off the tower on to the demon. Repeat four times and you are golden.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:36 pm

It surprises me that people find the combat so difficult. The series is nowhere near as hard as it's made out to be, just use your noggin and have patience rather than trying to hack everything to pieces right away. God of War, this is not.

If you want an easy Taurus fight, use the gold pine resin and do a diving attack off the tower. Pretty much capable of one shotting him.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:05 pm

I lasted precisely 93 minutes before finally conceding to this game and have not played it since.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:53 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:Easiest way to beat the first boss is to turn around when you go through the fog . There is a ladder that will allow you to climb the tower. From there you can do a special attack off the tower on to the demon. Repeat four times and you are golden.

This is what I'm trying tonight, although I tried it a couple of times with not much luck. I tried the firebomb method but they kept missing even when I was locked onto him. I also tried a melee method where you hug him as close as possible and keep rolling through his legs / defending. That worked a bit better but I couldn't seem to survive long enough. That's what annoys me slightly - everyone goes on about how fair the combat is, and I agree for the non-boss enemies. But the Taurus Demon seems really unfair because there doesn't seem to be any consistency as to whether your rolling or defence will end up with you dead or alive from his attacks. It seems to be mostly luck, which isn't fair at all. And I have no idea why the firebombs weren't hitting him - again, it seemed to be pure luck. I can't learn from a mistake if I don't understand what the mistake was.

Mantis wrote:The series is nowhere near as hard as it's made out to be

No. Just.... no.

Photos!

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:09 pm

I think Mantis is right, but I know where you're coming from Wrath. Once you get past Capra Demon it should click with you. I really had a hard time and didn't enjoy playing it until something clicked about 4 hours in. Keep at it, once you get past this boss things get interesting. If you don't like it after Capra Demon, then fair enough. It's a bit of a bitch at first, but it's such a good game once you get into it.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing