XCOM: Enemy Unknown + Enemy Within Expansion

The strategy of playing ones role.
Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown + Enemy Within Expansion

Postby Wolfy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:44 pm

I played XCOM for the first time on my old-ish Alienware laptop with customisable lights-beneath the keyboard. It only goes and changes the colour of the lights depending on what turn it is. BEST GAME EVER.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Ronin

Postby Ronin » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:45 am

Fuck Newfoundland.

Vykromod

Postby Vykromod » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:15 pm

Pretty sure my XCOM just got even less ethical than it was before the expansion. It used to be the case that anyone reaching Colonel rank was jammed in a psi-tube for a week and those who didn't gain powers were almost never sent on future deployments.

Now anyone reaching Colonel is jammed in a psi-tube for a week and those who don't gain powers have their limbs removed so they fit better in a giant robot.
Lo, let be it, for now when Tuesday then cometh with not again, be it another less more it be. Be faith giveth whence came me unto, yet not needeth for unto me, for yet be learn to be. -Zinglon
Huh? -Monses

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:06 pm

:lol:
My face is tired.

Vykromod

Postby Vykromod » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:45 pm

I have no idea what to do with my last slot on the team.

I'm getting to the end now (by which I mean that as soon as I stop faffing about looking for meld and pick a volunteer, the invasion can end). I've had good luck with the psi-tubes; of five people put through it, I've only had to remove one's legs for failing to spontaneously develop mastery of the mind. The other four were all different classes. Four Skyranger spaces filled there.

One top of them, I have an ace MEC trooper who has been stomping about from very early on (with a fast-track promotion from rookie to colossal death machine) and has more kills than any other two soldiers added together. This trooper's colour scheme is hot pink just because it amuses me to have something that colour rampage around the battlefield and punch out the biggest hostiles in sight. That's the fifth Skyranger chair occupied.

It doesn't seem to matter who else I take along on missions with these five. They always end up looking a bit pointless next to the four members of Team Mind Control and their giant mechanical pal with the rocket-assisted fist.
Lo, let be it, for now when Tuesday then cometh with not again, be it another less more it be. Be faith giveth whence came me unto, yet not needeth for unto me, for yet be learn to be. -Zinglon
Huh? -Monses

Wolfy

Postby Wolfy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:40 am

I hate that slow dawn of realisation when you realise you done fucked up your build order and have to start again. Lost argentina and I'm about to lose Brazil, India and China because I can't build satellite uplinks & satellites fast enough. :(
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

NG

Postby NG » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:29 am

Wolfy wrote:I hate that slow dawn of realisation when you realise you done fucked up your build order and have to start again. Lost argentina and I'm about to lose Brazil, India and China because I can't build satellite uplinks & satellites fast enough. :(

Whenever I start a new (classic mode) game, I will either build a satellite uplink and or a satellite immediately or both because it will be difficult to do so as the game progresses mainly because of the long construction time.
Buying a satellite at the start is useful since you have a free deployment slot & can keep in reserve till you need to send it out when a country is about to pull out at the end of the month a day or two before the council report. I also tend to focus on abduction missions that reward engineers or credit to reduce the cost of satellites & uplinks for the first few months. In my current enemy & previous playthrough I've sacrificed assisting countries that I was unlikely to get bonuses from & sucessfully obtained all other countries & bonuses. This can lead your squad into an unbalanced/technologically unequipped battle depending on how/if you progress with the story mode.

Vykromod

Postby Vykromod » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:59 pm

I've had worse.

Abductions reported in Nigeria, Canada, and Russia. North America has no panic yet, Canada can fend for itself. Europe and Africa both have a country that will be at full panic if ignored here. But that's okay - I have a spare satellite and I'm about to launch it anyway since it's nearing council report time. Nigeria is offering the more useful benefit, so let's save that one.

One pile of shot, burned, electrocuted and punched aliens later and as predicted Russia goes into full panic. The satellite goes up, reducing the level enough to keep them in for the four days until the next report. Now, as long as nothing else happens between then and now, we should-

EXALT propaganda is spreading panic in Russia. It goes right back into the red, I now have no satellites, and a successful covert operation is the only way to get it down right now. Except those take six days and Russia will leave when the council report comes up in four.

Arse.
Huh? -Monses

Nilly

Postby Nilly » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:33 am

Man why are Europe always a bunch of pussies. :(
eVol wrote:Nilly tops my cool peoples list! :D

Wolfy

Postby Wolfy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:33 pm

I don't bloody care that I don't have enough satellite uplinks, BUILD AS MANY AS POSSIBLE. YES, SELL ALLLLL THE SEKTOID CORPSES FOR FUNDS.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:49 pm

So I got Enemy Within for Christmas and loaded it up quickly today to try the first few missions.

Haven't seen much of the new content thus far, but I just had to share this.

In my list of randomly generated raw recruits I had a Chinese fella. His name?

Long Wang.

I shit you not. :lol:
My face is tired.

Wolfy

Postby Wolfy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:58 am

Amazing. :D

I really do need to get back into it. Lost 5 countries in a single council report last time and I was doing so well. :(
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:19 pm

Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:07 pm

Enemy Within currently only a fiver in the Steam sale.

That's the price I've been waiting for to snap it up. Now I can finally play this game.

Previous

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing