XCOM: Enemy Unknown + Enemy Within Expansion

The strategy of playing ones role.
Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Firaxis' XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Now coming to iOS and Mac.

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:05 am

Ronin wrote:I'm calling a Terror from the Deep remake, given the "Enemy Within

Could be about tapeworms?
My face is tired.

NG

Postby NG » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:23 pm

or diahorrea?

The reveal is set to take place on Wednesday, August 21 -- right around when gamescom 2013 will be starting -- and until then, we'll be crossing our fingers that this thing is a full-fledged sequel, not DLC for Enemy Unknown.

http://www.destructoid.com/2k-will-offi ... 9200.phtml

NG

Postby NG » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:21 am

http://www.destructoid.com/xcom-enemy-w ... 0465.phtml

XCOM: Enemy Within announced for November 12!

2K Games has lifted the lid on XCOM: Enemy Within, an expansion to the wildly popular Enemy Unknown. It'll be available on November 12, and aims to bring a whole host of fresh content to the original game.

New soldier abilities allow you to research Gene Mods to augment your fighters' physical capabilities, and the Mechanized Exoskeletal Cybersuit. MECs can use flamethrowers or grenade launchers, because it is cool when mechs use those things. New weapons and equipment will also bolster your assets.

New enemies will also rear their ugly heads, with the Mechtoid the first to be unveiled. An alien resource known as MELD, fresh tactical challenges and a whole 47 new maps are also on the cards. You'll also get more multiplayer environments, units, and powers, as well as stuff yet to be announced.

It would appear that Enemy Within plans to do the term "expansion" justice! We'll have some hands-on impressions coming soon, and will also be checking the game out at PAX Prime. Yay substantial expansions!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:53 am

Oooh :)
My face is tired.

Vykromod

Postby Vykromod » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:52 am

I love that first image. You've got a mechanically-enhanced guy front and centre, immediately to both sides of him are well-equipped looking people with glowy eyes, and at both ends of the formation you have... perfectly normal-seeming people with pistols and no obvious armour. XCOM: A fair organisation.

Actually, given the horrible things I did with rookies in the campaign, I think I know exactly what's going on up there.

And more sensibly, this sounds interesting.
Lo, let be it, for now when Tuesday then cometh with not again, be it another less more it be. Be faith giveth whence came me unto, yet not needeth for unto me, for yet be learn to be. -Zinglon
Huh? -Monses

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:55 pm

So long as they fix the dodgy AI targeting system and seemingly totally random hit percentages. It utterly kills the first game when you miss a 99% chance shot.

S2

Postby S2 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:24 pm

A cool new feature is everyone will have access to the localised voice work. So your French soldier can speak French, and so on.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:37 pm

Mantis wrote:So long as they fix the dodgy AI targeting system and seemingly totally random hit percentages. It utterly kills the first game when you miss a 99% chance shot.

I hate to sound antagonistic but... you do know what 99% means right? ¬_¬
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:06 pm

I didn't think you could get accuracy to 99%, I found mine maxed out at around 90%.
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:28 pm

Quietman wrote:
Mantis wrote:So long as they fix the dodgy AI targeting system and seemingly totally random hit percentages. It utterly kills the first game when you miss a 99% chance shot.

I hate to sound antagonistic but... you do know what 99% means right? ¬_¬

Yeah but it happened on multiple occasions, and I refuse to believe that I'm that unlucky. -_-

Perhaps it capped at 95%, either way I had plenty of scenarios where I blatantly had a super clear shot and it'd either give me a 10% chance, or it'd give me 95% and miss anyway. I'm pretty sure I read that a mechanic was implemented that automatically decided at the start of each game that a certain number of shots per side will succeed or fail regardless of the actual hit chance. Similarly, it would happen way too often that an alien would take aim on me through several pieces of cover, clearly absolutely bugger all line of sight, and yet it'd still give them a good percentage and they'd end up one shotting me through something crazy like three walls.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:37 pm

I've had annoying, unlikely misses. On the flip side, I've had a good number of 30-40% shots hitting their target, more than I should have statistically. When it's the last shot in the turn, and you know someone dies if you miss, that's a proper 'fuck yeah!' moment.
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:53 pm

Mantis wrote:clearly absolutely bugger all line of sight.

I enjoyed XCOM but that was the only major niggle I had with the mission gameplay. There was never any correlation with the LOS chance and what was actually on display in front of you in the game world.

Plus the animations often didn't work well with the cover. It was all a bit messy in that respect.

Zael

Postby Zael » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:13 pm

People always complain about the 90% shot that misses but rarely talk about their 10% shots that hit.
http://gameviewsonline.blogspot.com

A blog about games - Now with increased vigor!

Updates every Wednesday.

NG

Postby NG » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:53 am

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:28 am

Anyone else feel a little... underwhelmed by this? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'll buy, play the shit outta it and love it but I can't help but think this is just the stuff that didn't make it into the vanilla game.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing