Dungeon Siege III

The strategy of playing ones role.
S2

Postby S2 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:07 am

Finished earlier today. A solid 8 out of 10 sort of game.

Looking forward to playing it through again, possibly twice over, since I've realised the melee characters are 100 times more fun than the pure ranged character I was using.

It's a promising sign that Obsidian have finally proved they can code their own engine and release something that looks fantastic while running flawlessly. Now if they could just marry this new found technical competence with a Mask of the Betrayer standard story...

katarn

Postby katarn » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:19 pm

I might try the demo at some point, but not liking what I'm hearing about this so far - that's coming from an on old-style Dungeon Siege fanboy.

Zael

Postby Zael » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:24 pm

If you want to enjoy it you definitely have to stop looking at it as a Dungeon Siege game and more as a Diablo-esque one. I'm playing couch co-op with my housemate atm and it's pretty fun.
http://gameviewsonline.blogspot.com

A blog about games - Now with increased vigor!

Updates every Wednesday.

katarn

Postby katarn » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:35 pm

Is that on 360 I take it? I do have a 360 controller, but DS were always KB/Mouse games at heart and I hear the controls are pretty poor.

Zael

Postby Zael » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:43 pm

Yeah it's on the 360. I played the demo on the PC and the controls did feel odd, and I've heard that the online co-op is pretty poor (you have to share the hosts camera, you can't import your character into their game). It's definitely made with a console in mind. That said however, it's getting pretty good reviews for the PC.
http://gameviewsonline.blogspot.com

A blog about games - Now with increased vigor!

Updates every Wednesday.

S2

Postby S2 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:45 pm

It's just not designed with a mouse in mind. You don't click to attack anything. Play it with a pad and enjoy it or play it with a mouse, quit after 30 mins and bitch about consolisation on forums for days.

katarn

Postby katarn » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:00 pm

S2 wrote:..or play it with a mouse, quit after 30 mins and bitch about consolisation on forums for days.

Has someone been doing this somewhere?

Anyway, I'll play the demo and see what it's like.

S2

Postby S2 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:27 pm

katarn wrote:
S2 wrote:..or play it with a mouse, quit after 30 mins and bitch about consolisation on forums for days.

Has someone been doing this somewhere?

Anyway, I'll play the demo and see what it's like.

Yeah, on the Obsidian and Steam forums. Lots of 1 star "worst game ever!" reviews on Amazon as well.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:06 pm

I like this, it's very fun on the consoles. The only thing annoying me is that it doesn't really explain what all the different stats mean...
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Markachy

Postby Markachy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:25 pm

Quietman wrote:I like this, it's very fun on the consoles. The only thing annoying me is that it doesn't really explain what all the different stats mean...

It tells you in the help menu, accessed from the start menu. Really stupid of them to do that, the manual is the shittiest thing ever put on paper. Each basically corresponds to one of your skills, so improves melee damage, or magic damage, or amount of health, or critical hit chance etc. Very basic stats system.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:44 pm

Yeah it was more the Doom and Chaos: Withering and stuff like that I was trying to figure out, ended up using gamefaqs but at least I can find it in game now, cheers!
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Vykromod

Postby Vykromod » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:41 pm

Well. That fell in price quickly.

I decided £10 wasn't bad and I've been violencing my way across Ehb for the last two weeks. The full game is much better than the demo, especially once your abilities open up and you have a choice of things to do in a fight.

The story is mince, but it's well told. I've been left feeling that my choices mattered, not something I'd expect out of anything with Dungeon Siege in the name. I'd have to play again to see if it's an illusion.

That all said, I'm in a very stupid state. I'm working on something that's pretty much draining my mind. Something as pleasantly brainless as the Dungeon Siege series (of which this seems to be the least intelligent and most actiony) is exactly what I need right now. Part of my enjoyment is based on that, I'm sure.

I got used to the weird keyboard controls without much hassle. I did try a 360 pad eventually, and went right back to the keyboard. They're obviously not as bad as I thought from the demo, though I know there's been a patch dealing with them.

I'm pretty sure the ending sequence might as well have contained the words "DLC Coming Soon!". Should be interesting to see if that actually happens given that the price is already down so far.

I'm not getting into the "this is not Dungeon Siege" debate I've seen elsewhere. It is quite different despite not being that different. Somehow. Look, you see where I said I'm a stupid state a few paragraphs back? This is your proof.
Lo, let be it, for now when Tuesday then cometh with not again, be it another less more it be. Be faith giveth whence came me unto, yet not needeth for unto me, for yet be learn to be. -Zinglon
Huh? -Monses

katarn

Re: Dungeon Siege III

Postby katarn » Mon May 14, 2012 12:12 pm

Pretty good fun this. I'm only on the first chapter so not sure how good it will end up, but it's alright so far.

Still trying to get used to the control system though - playing this makes you realise how brilliant the KB/M controls were in Kingdoms of Amalur.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon May 14, 2012 1:15 pm

Just started myself and finding things a bit difficult as a ranged character, I think I need to block a bit more. Quite a pretty game I think and not a bad setting either. Looking forward to playing a bit more tonight and tomorrow, if Diablo III hasn't turned up. :)
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

katarn

Postby katarn » Mon May 14, 2012 1:20 pm

I started as a melee character, it's quite fun twatting groups with the two-hander. I could have done with playing this before KoA, which is so much more seamless and responsive. Here, I'm often locked into animations and not able to dodge when I want, taking damage, etc. It'll do for a fiver though.

The buying/selling/inventory also seems a little weird to me, but then I guess DS3 set out to be different to the first two.

I can see myself playing it through all the way though. It seems a good blast.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing