Total War: Shogun 2

The strategy of playing ones role.
TKoN

Postby TKoN » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:45 pm

To be fair to CA one of the major complaints of fans was the fact that as soon you had conquered a certain number of provinces you became an unstoppable machine that could steamroller any opponent. The real divide may not have been the best way to do it because stuff like diplomacy is suddenly worthless but at least they have made an attempt to keep it interesting.

In fact something similar usually happened in the original Shogun, if you played as one of the western factions by the end game the Hojo clan had usually conquered most of the main island and built up huge unbeatable armies due to sheer numbers.
TKoN wrote:
Come RCHD your kidding yourself if you think Keegan will stay now.

RCHD wrote: I think he will for a while. Quote me on that.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:31 pm

I personally love it. I'm playing a realism mod that stops combats being over so fast, so I get to sit and watch the amazing combat animations and glorious fights. The variety isn't an issue, but that's because for me the setting is fascinating. I think there's enough variety there to keep it interesting!

Generals have finally become customisable enough to allow for some "roleplaying" and you get attached to certain leaders. I also think the AI is pretty competent in comparison to earlier Total War efforts, but then I loved all the Total War games, despite all their flaws.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:55 am

AMD are giving away codes for Shogun 2. Well I say giving away it's more pot luck. Play the matching game for a chance to win...

http://www.amd-site.com/visiongame/

Use snipping tool or whatever to save you actually having to remember the locations.

Came across it a couple of weeks ago, forgot all about it. I thought I might as well post it in here, hopefully someone will get lucky.

NG

Postby NG » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm

I believe it's finished, it says 7th August in terms and conditions.

Achtung Englander

Re: Total War: Shogun 2

Postby Achtung Englander » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:53 pm

no one getting Rise Of The Samurai ?
Games playing : Max Payne 3 / Attila Total War

katarn

Postby katarn » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:45 pm

I haven't really looked into it properly yet. I luurrved Shogun2 (my GOTY) so I'll probably pick it up if it's meant to be decent.

Reiver

Postby Reiver » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:02 pm

I had a massive NTW and S2 splurge a month or so ago and i'm kind of burnt out on it for now. I will get it eventually but even if i had been hyped for it i'd have still held back for the modders to "fix" the crazy movement and battle speeds.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:17 am

Reiver wrote:I had a massive NTW and S2 splurge a month or so ago and i'm kind of burnt out on it for now. I will get it eventually but even if i had been hyped for it i'd have still held back for the modders to "fix" the crazy movement and battle speeds.

I know the feeling - hated the speed of the unit movements because it felt silly. There are several slow speed mods like the one below - will try it soon. Just have no time for Total War at the mo....

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=429413 :-"

katarn

Postby katarn » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:46 pm

There was actually an almighty, humongous patch for the main game a week or two back with all kinds of balancing/campaign/AI fixes. I'm going to use this opportunity to start a new campaign from scratch I think.

I won't go for the easier western clans, one of the tougher ones this time. I still have great memories of my Chosokabe campaign, my most enjoyable TW campaign since Medieval1.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:37 pm

Hmmmm, dont know why but I never really gelled with S2. No good reason either, I really enjoyed the little I played (only a few hours), graphics lovely, battles a bit frantic but still gorgeous, lovely music, there wasnt much I disliked in all honesty. Just stopped playing and haven't any real desire to revisit it.

I am sure I will, I just dont know when.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

NightShade

Postby NightShade » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:25 pm

I was the same. I've played every Total War game to death and back, but didn't get more than a couple of hours into this. No real reason I could pinpoint, was just missing a certain feeling that I couldn't really place.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:45 pm

Yeah Medieval 2 just hit all the right switches with me I think. Empire was guff, Napoleon I skipped, and Shogun...well I just cba to play it!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:47 pm

I am with you Snowy - Medieval 2 pips Rome for all time Total War goodness. I really hope Rome 2 will be excellent

I found Shogun to be OK - the speed of the battles was way to fast to feel that you are in control of your units

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:59 am

Well, my Date campaign has started pretty steadily. I've defeated Mogami and hold the 3 eastern provinces, but I now only have one option - to take on Takeda who have grown massively. With access to only one trade node, my income is going to be less than I wanted.

Starting to develop my generals now - one of them I'm ploughing points into movement speed, so he can be a highly mobile army, the other is going to have loads of defensive bonuses so his army can hold chokepoints and soak up Takeda's onslaught that's about to happen.

EDIT: As for the other TW's, Medieval2 & Rome feel so broken compared to SH2. Also, strategically, SH2 is the most pleasing game to play since Medieval1 for me. Battles are still a bit too fast, but that's been the problem since Rome.

I still feel Med1 has the best battles of any TW game. It was leisurely-paced enough to let you make genuine decisions on the fly that had a big tactical impact. But I do like the unit abilities of SH2, and the general units, even if it is all a little...fluffy.

TKoN

Postby TKoN » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:57 pm

I'm with Katarn Medieval 1 for me all the way.

Actung and Snowy I am curious did the fact that shields actually made a unit more susceptible to arrows and the fact that two handed weapons did not work properly or at all really not detract from your experience? Playing as England you were pretty much crippled right from the off because of these sorts of bugs. I know it had prettier graphics but it felt like it had less options and certainly less tactical opportunity in battles than Medieval 1. The campaign map was a bit broken and the AI couldn't cope with it anyway which meant that any potential improvements they might have introduced were completely nullified.

Shogun 2 has done a lot to rectify a number of the sort of errors and bugs (along with poor [in my opinion] gameplay choices) but it still doesn't quite live up to it's earliest predecessors.
TKoN wrote:
Come RCHD your kidding yourself if you think Keegan will stay now.

RCHD wrote: I think he will for a while. Quote me on that.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing