Total War: Shogun 2

The strategy of playing ones role.
katarn

Re: Total War: Shogun 2

Postby katarn » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:49 pm

Eesh, just had an almighty ding-dong.

I decided to send a ship with my main army across the sea to invade the Christian (*spits*) Shimazu clan in the far west, but just after they left Hojo picked that moment to invade my eastern territories with their main army. They tried to sneak through a mountain pass but I managed to send my remaining force to a bridge (hoping for a bridge defence) but I came up just short and they hit me head on.

They had a force mostly made up of Bow Samurai while I had an even mix. It's so hard to defend against a force like that, luckily I had some light cavalry to mess around with them and break them up a bit, the rest of my forces were half-decimated by the time I engaged them (I couldn't just stand there and wait behind my Yari Walls against a Bow Samurai army).

Scraped a win by focusing on their general then having a final charge, routing them bit-by-bit. 'Phyrric victory' it said afterwards, and it was right. Many of my units were 5+ experienced vets before but now after replenishing only have 1 or 2 xp - my effectiveness as a fighting force is weakened now, despite getting the numbers back to what they were.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:37 am

TKoN wrote:I'm with Katarn Medieval 1 for me all the way.

Actung and Snowy I am curious did the fact that shields actually made a unit more susceptible to arrows and the fact that two handed weapons did not work properly or at all really not detract from your experience? Playing as England you were pretty much crippled right from the off because of these sorts of bugs. I know it had prettier graphics but it felt like it had less options and certainly less tactical opportunity in battles than Medieval 1. The campaign map was a bit broken and the AI couldn't cope with it anyway which meant that any potential improvements they might have introduced were completely nullified.

Shogun 2 has done a lot to rectify a number of the sort of errors and bugs (along with poor [in my opinion] gameplay choices) but it still doesn't quite live up to it's earliest predecessors.

For me, ignorance is bliss. I wasn't aware of those issues with the game, and as such they didn't detract from the overall experience. For me it is a fascinating period of history that I am very au fait with (feudal Japan is equally interesting but I don't have the same level of knowledge of the era and history), so the game plays out in my head as much as it does on the screen. M2:TW paints a much richer picture of the era, with the role of the papacy, the Mongol invasion etc adding flavour.

Additionally while you say the English forces are crippled from the outset, they actually suit my playstyle perfectly. I am a very defensive player, and tend to pick my battles and needle the enemy into attacking at a place of my choosing. Playing as the English gives me the benefit of longbowmen, allowing me to create a screened defensive line heavily weighted with missile troops, which I like to use to whittle down the numbers of the enemy before engaging them with infantry and then hammering their flanks with heavy cavalry.

Sprinkle in the lovely visuals of the game, and there you have the reasons why it sits at the top of the pile of TW games for me. I am less concerned with the strategic ins and outs, and more with a game which allows me to play as a predatory medieval motherfucker on the screen and in my mind :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:24 pm

Similar to Snowy I think it was more the setting and the historical context I really liked. I found the Roman and Medieval times more fascinating than Shogun or 19th Century. So I overlooked the bugs. Graphically I really liked MTW2 and the fact it now comes with so many mods is a bonus.

I recommend if you are a fan of Middle Earth try the mod for MTW2 - simply stunning. The Trolls are real bastards to defeat
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Rochard / RTW 2

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:13 am

Mmmmhhh curses.

Following posting in this thread I have reinstalled and restarted the grand campaign. Playing as Venice, I am now stuck into a war with just about everyone around me. I am allied to the Papal States, but under attack from the Byzantines, Sicilians, Milanese and the HRE. Oh, and the Hungarians. And all very early in the campaign.

However, I am fucking ruling them. I am besieging Bologna at the moment, which is held by the HRE, and dominance of which will give me the whole of the boot of Italy (except Rome). The HRE sent in two armies to break my siege, and the Milanese were also taking advantage of my being stretched thin and moving an army into my lands.

Bologna is well defended, and I want to starve them out onto the field rather than risk one of my main armies being decimated in a castle assault. I had a small army with a couple of catapults and a bunch of peasant archers, with two units of spearmen, holding a bridge just north of the city, but the sneaky fucks had avoided that obvious trap. I bolstered this army with a load of spear militia from Venice and threw them at the HRE armies. Fortune definitely favoured the brave, and I crushed both, and then all in the same turn sent them in and flattened the Milanese army. I love the way that the enemy, even when attacked and outnumbered, will often come to me if I hold station long enough - that is what happened on all three of these, and my archers flensed their ranks with arrow-fire while my catapults demolished their morale.

So yes, the siege goes on, but they will have to take to the field in a turn or two. The pope has just called a crusade against the French too, so I am mulling over whether to send my faction leader with a crusading army across to grab a French territory, or whether this would stretch me too thin....

Mmmm decisions, but fuck me I love this game :D
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:40 pm

The next Exp pack is set in 1864! Has railroads and offshore arty bombardments :shock:

"The standalone expansion to the award winning Total War: SHOGUN 2 explores the conflict between the Imperial throne and the last Shogunate in 19th century Japan, 400 years after the events of the original game – a dramatic clash of traditional Samurai culture with the explosive power of modern weaponry.

Guide ancient Japan into the modern age, as the arrival of America, Britain and France incites a ferocious civil war which will decide the future of the nation.

Dramatic 19th century Japan setting
Based on the backdrop of the Boshin War period, the new campaign starts in 1864, a time of growing resentment against Western colonial power and influence. As Japan began to modernise and industrialise, the inevitable social and economic changes led to increasingly militant nationalism and antipathy towards the Shogunate.

6 new playable clans
Play as a clan supporting the Imperial throne, or the last Shogunate:
Shogunate clans: Aizu, Nagaoka, Jozai
Imperial clans: Choshu, Satsuma, Tosa
New foreign powers
The American, British and French nations played an important part in the story of the Boshin war and your relations with these foreign powers will be integral to unit recruitment and to advancing your technology trees.
New 19th century Japan campaign map
The new island of Ezo extends the SHOGUN 2 campaign map northwards.
Fully refreshed towns and other campaign map features reflect the different time period, with railways making their first appearance in a Total War title.
Railway lines on the campaign map
Develop your own railway network to move armies and agents between your regions.
Railways can be sabotaged and transport can be blocked by enemy armies who take control of parts of the line or railway stations.
39 new land units
Including modern ranged units - such as the Gatling gun and Armstrong gun - controllable in a new first-person mode.
New units can also be recruited from foreign powers, including the British Royal Marines, US Marine Corps and French Marines.
10 new naval unit types with a total of 21 ships
New steam-powered warships, heavily armed with modern artillery.
Foreign ironclad ships can also be purchased, including the Warrior-class ironclad.
New port siege battle type
This new battle type triggers when attempting a naval assault on an occupied enemy port.
The attacking fleet must sail into the harbour and capture the port, running the gauntlet of coastal gun defences.
New land and sea unit interactions
During a land battle, armies can call in offshore artillery support barrages.
Conversely, costal gun emplacements can target enemy ships during port siege battles, when ending their turn within the range of upgraded coastal defences.
Campaign map bombardments: offshore naval units can bombard armies and cities in adjacent coastal areas on the campaign map itself.
3 new agent types
The Foreign Veteran, the Ishin Shishi and the Shinshengumi.
Each new agent has its own skill tree. Ninja and Geisha agents have had their skill trees updated.
Improved siege battle mechanics
New upgradable tower defences can be built with a specific defence specialty: archery, matchlock or Gatling gun.
4 new historical battles
Fight in 4 brand-new dramatic portrayals of the major historical battles of the Boshin War.
Multiplayer 2.0
New Conquest map reflecting the 19th century setting
Brand-new Fall of the Samurai avatar, including:
Over 40 new retainers
Over 30 new armour pieces
New 19th century avatar skill tree
Multiple avatars: players can enjoy multiple careers and progression across Shogun 2 and Fall of The Samurai"

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:54 am

Do you think this will be a lead up to a more recent historical setting like WW2?

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:54 pm

Gatling guns!

I hope this leads up to them doing a game set in the American Civil War.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:44 pm

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:33 pm

It's out now, had a quick battle, new troops verses old troops. Fuck me, the old troops didn't stand a chance, everyone fires so fast and can shoot so far, it's mental. Revolver Cav just make mincemeat out of melee troops they fire so fucking fast. Even the Cannons are accurate and fast firing and the gattling guns just.. fuck me.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:23 pm

The possible army sizes are much much bigger, tried to take down 11,000 Samuri with 3,000 rifle men failed ¬_¬

katarn

Postby katarn » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:29 pm

What's the performance like with the much bigger army sizes? My system already used to chug a little bit in the main game with the big battles, but was still playable.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:49 pm

Well it got stuttery with 14,000 troops on, but then I was playing on ultra settings. Probably would have been fine had I lowered the settings.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:51 pm

Is it possible to play a battle with two "western" armies against eachother? I'd be interested in using this game to sort of "reenact" some battles from the Victorian age (thinking stuff like Franco-Prussian wars), as no other game gives such a possibility.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:09 pm

There's western line troops available, British, French and US. Plus the arty is all British. The modernised Japanese troops look western too, bar the faces, even the cav use sabre's.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:46 pm

Fuck me, the British Royal Marines are tough as fuck, used them in two battles so far and they killed loads more than anyone else, even stood in the middle of a meat grinder that caused my supposedly elite Black Bear Infantry to leg it. The Royal Marines just stood there's like the mothfucking thin red line killing all comers.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing