Total War: Shogun 2

The strategy of playing ones role.
Reiver

Re: Total War: Shogun 2

Postby Reiver » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:09 am

Gibby wrote:Is it possible to play a battle with two "western" armies against eachother? I'd be interested in using this game to sort of "reenact" some battles from the Victorian age (thinking stuff like Franco-Prussian wars), as no other game gives such a possibility.

The reviews i've read say that's the end game so it's definitely not all Last Samurai the whole way. I'd love to see someone mod the germna unification etc. in but given the dearth of significant mods so far for the base game and the lack of any true total conversions since M2, i can't say i'm too hopeful. Still i get the impression that a lot of this stuff is proof of concept for CA and they're gearing up for a full Victorian TW game. Stuff like naval bombardments is a significantly bigger mechanical change than I can remember from any exp pack so far.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:31 pm

So I was thinking of picking this up as it's been a while since I played Total War game after being put off by Empire. I hear Shogun is much better than Rome and I never played the first game they made so I am interested in trying the setting out. My question is should be get the original game or go for the Fall of the Samurai standalone. I hear that Fall is better so I was wondering whether I should just go straight for that.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

katarn

Postby katarn » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:23 pm

I can't speak for the expansion, but the standard Shogun 2 is IMO the best TW in the whole series. They finally got it sussed. And then pretty much threw it all away with Rome2 again (although I haven't tried it out in a few months, maybe some recent patches have brought it closer to release state).

Perhaps play the main game first, then move on to the expansion?

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:36 pm

Yeah, the main game is larger really, but the add-on pack adds some really cool elements since its the most forward in time setting. Arty in the fall really fucks up any army without it.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:58 am

Cheers guys, I might go with the original first then.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Previous

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing