Trackmania 2 Announced (PC)

The strategy of playing ones role.
Marty Fuffkin

Re: Trackmania 2 Announced (PC)

Postby Marty Fuffkin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:43 pm

Oh you probably could, but when I tried it, the keyboard seemed to suffice.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:07 pm

So you marked it down for them doing a good job of handling digital inputs? :lol:
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Marty Fuffkin

Postby Marty Fuffkin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:15 pm

No, I wasn't impressed that I could play the game pretty well using just the cursor keys.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:20 pm

eVoL wrote:So you marked it down for them doing a good job of handling digital inputs? :lol:

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:40 pm

This reminded me of Trackmania Nations, which is free, which I then downloaded, which has now given me a way to waste hours and give me a sore hand.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:03 pm

JohnyHumf wrote:This reminded me of Trackmania Nations, which is free, which I then downloaded, which has now given me a way to waste hours and give me a sore hand.

It's not that good...
My face is tired.

Dark Flare

Postby Dark Flare » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:40 am

Marty Fuffkin wrote:No, I wasn't impressed that I could play the game pretty well using just the cursor keys.

"pretty well" sure, but you wouldn't beat an equally skilled player who was using Analogue.
Previously known as HeliX.

Marty Fuffkin

Postby Marty Fuffkin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:18 am

Sounds like a challenge...

Cerzi

Postby Cerzi » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:39 pm

Am enjoying this, I quite like the 5-min gap between submitting official times in solo mode, makes it a lot more of an event than a slow grindy succession of 1ms improvements.

What I'm less sure about is the leader points / ranking system, I might be wrong but it seems to be purely cumulative. Which would suggest that getting a high rank is perhaps more about playing a lot than it is about actually performing well...

Cerzi

Postby Cerzi » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:51 pm

update: actually, really enjoying this. It's the first racing game I've got really into since Wipeout HD, and bares some resemblance just in terms of the raw speed and insane maps. I've been playing pretty solidly for the last day and have reach that satisfying point of time seeming to slow down, of being able to ace new maps first time just on instinct rather than having to fumble through it and learn it before being able to finish.

I guess this is just my regular e-sports craving, but this game really hits that competitive spot.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:54 pm

Wish there was a demo. Want so much but need to wait 2-3weeks to keep a tab on finances :(

Feet

Postby Feet » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:00 pm

Aye I'm really enjoying it as well, the compulsive shaving of time is... well... it's compulsive isn't it? Duh. Using cursor keys right for the first 5 white levels and doing very nicely I think, but I'll switch to the 360 pad next time.
I still love you.

Cerzi

Postby Cerzi » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:16 am

Ahh, got the fastest time in the UK for the map C14, beaten the next best by almost a full second. Feel pretty good about it as I ran into the map the first time i played a couple days ago (in multiplayer) and it was tilting me massively (the narrow windy bit through the desert as well as the final corner that sent you off the track if you didnt slow down just enough). Spent 15 minutes practicing it and managed to set a decent official time - although my training time is almost a full second faster, but honestly I love the separation between official and training, it adds a whole new dimension to time trials. I can see myself coming back to it over time to try and push my official time closer to my best training time, which is gameplay that just wouldn't exist if the training time was official.

1500 skill points for a single time, nice 8)

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:27 pm

I was listening to a podcast and heard a totally bizarre thing about this game. It uses an in-game currency that you can accrue whilst playing and by logging in ever day. You can use this currency to buy new skins for your cars and potential tracks and various other things from other players. However they also take 'Planets' as they are called off you for; expanding your friends list over 50; inviting people to join your group; to form a clan, although they give it another name; to make your server official so that it tracks stats; and most bizarrely to re-download the game. The last one is the real strange one as what would happen if you spent all your Planets on in-game stuff then your hardrive crashed and you no longer had access to the game. You wouldn't have any Planets to download the game again. I'm sure Nadeo would give you the requisite 150 Planets to re-download the game, but it just seems like such a strange thing to do in the first place.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Cerzi

Postby Cerzi » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:38 pm

Just took UK#1 for C06 on my first official attempt, haha. I seem to be getting quite good at this.

And yeah the planets stuff is strange. It's like an in-game currency for a microtransaction game, except without the microtransactions. According to a dev post its all just supposed to be a bit of fun, as well as a tool for motivating the community to help each other out a bit. There's gonna be monthly economical highscores showing the people who spent the most (i think) to encourage people more. But yeah, spending on redownloading the game is pretty :confused:

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing