Wurm Online

The strategy of playing ones role.
Pie Maker

Wurm Online

Postby Pie Maker » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:35 pm

I saw an article on Eurogamer about this the other day (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/wurm-online-preview) , and thought I'd give it a go seeing as it's free (at least to start with). I think there was an article in PC Gamer too, so some of you might know about it already.

Anyway, from what I can tell, it seems a bit like a 3d Ultima Online, which is good, as Ultima Onine rocked! It's got a bit of steep learning curve, you'll have to consult the Wiki in order to figure out how to do some things, and you pretty much need to do everything yourself - you won't really find handy shops from which you can buy the things you need; you have to get things for yourself.

For example, one of the first things you should probably do, is figure out how to feed yourself. There are loads of ways to do this, but some are easier than others. You could just wander around and forage for berries in the grass, but that doesn't give you much nutrience, so you need a bit more effort, you need to make a stew. But to make a stew you need a bowl. But to make a bowl you need some clay. But to get some clay you need to find some clay and dig it up. Then after making your bowl, you need to fire it, so you need a fire. But for a fire you need some kindling, and for kindling you need some wood. Etc Etc. As you can see it's a pretty detailed & complex game, but it's pretty satisfying when you're able to feed yourself :)

Been playing a few hours now and have managed to figure out how to not starve, and how to make a few items, but I'm still at the "trying to kill bunnies" stage.

Anyway, I'm sure the PC Gamer/Eurogamer reviews will give you more of an idea, but give it a go, I'm sure it'd be good fun in a group. The website's here: http://www.wurmonline.com/

ETA: be warned that it's Java based and the graphics aren't much to write home about though! You forget about it after playing for a bit though (as I just did).

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing