Guild Wars 2

The strategy of playing ones role.
Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:56 pm

Yeah, I have 6 alts and haven't finished the storyline in any of them.

I think I'll do it with my char that's closest, though, now the new looking for group tool is working nicely.
My face is tired.

Heed

Postby Heed » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:17 pm

Managed to get to level 19 (from 17) tonight and actually quite enjoyed it. I should actually learn what to do instead of running about just bashing things I suppose.
Everything's Blue In This World, All Fuzzy. Spilling Out Of My Head

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:50 pm

You'll pick it all up as you go along, but for now I'd focus on map completion (doing the hearts, getting points of interest, way points and skill points) to level up while having fun. Going to the main cities - Divinity's Reach, Black Citadel, Hoelbrak, Lion's Arch etc - is cheap XP as you can do each one in about 10 minutes, will get you a few levels when you do all those. Also, do events whenever you stumble across them while exploring, get decent XP from those.

When you feel like it, get into crafting for all your gear and extra levelling - you'll probably need to use the Black Lion trading post to buy a lot of your mats.

When you're level 30-ish you can try out the first dungeon for a change of pace and XP.
My face is tired.

elgaucho

Postby elgaucho » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:16 pm

Think it's a good time to bump this post a little!

There's currently a discount on Guild Wars 2 at 50% off - current price is £17.49

http://buy.guildwars2.com/store/gw2/en_ ... :Global:6::

Even if you're not an MMO fan I'd recommend taking that journey from 1 to 80 the once - at that price the game is a bargain!

For those of you who have it an uninstalled it or aren't actively playing - there's a BIG feature patch due in the next couple of weeks that's really adding a LOT of quality of life improvements:

Check out the article index for all of the changes coming in:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/ ... ure-packs/

Some of the highlights include:

- New Wardrobe system. Skins that you unlock once can be used from the built in wardrobe UI to change your appearance at any time. That legendary skin you unlocked? Any of your toons can now wield the appearance!
- Dyes are now going to be account bound - so you can change your appearances and use those really exclusive dyes on all your characters
- Account bound Legendaries and Ascended Armour
- New Traits & New Ways of unlocking Traits for your characters
- Streamlined the trait systems so they operate in increments of 5 points now
- No repair costs
- Changes to Runes & Sigils to encourage focused builds and roles, and to increase player diversity
- Changes to Crit Damage to make inroads into the zerk meta
- Account bound WvW experience - your ranks are recognised across all your characters, but each one can be built for different needs (siege master, repairs, supply mastery etc)
- Massive PVP changes - new reward tracks for PVP, Ladders (although not sure if that's this patch), better PVE rewards and PVE and PVP are now more integrated, new build management UI etc
- Megaservers - all the servers share populations now - so all zones should feel as though they have more people all of the time. The biggest world events (Tequatl and the Triple Jungle Wurm) can also be started by large guilds at any time, enabling organised raids
- Changes to the Mystic Forge (although this is vague)

It won't please everyone, but there's a good chunk of content in there!

There's also a WvW season going on at the moment - so there's lots of activity in the battlegrounds, and some fun to be had there too!

Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

elgaucho

Postby elgaucho » Fri May 02, 2014 6:04 am

£17.49 folks - cheapest that I've seen this since launch! I think everyone should experience this at least once!! :P

https://www.guildwars2.com/en-gb/
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri May 02, 2014 6:35 am

Did you get all your stuff back, Gaucho?
My face is tired.

elgaucho

Postby elgaucho » Fri May 02, 2014 5:19 pm

Not yet bud - got access to my account restored on Tuesday, but anything of value, including all my minis, precursors, mats, dyes and etc has been cleaned out. All my laurels, my currencies etc.

It's been 3 days in the restoration queue, so I chased it this morning in line with A Net processes - if it follows suit, I'm hoping to be back on normally from tomorrow.
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri May 02, 2014 5:27 pm

Hope it works out mate, horrible thing to happen.
My face is tired.

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun May 04, 2014 8:18 pm

Poke a frirend to get this at that price, may start playing again then :)
Formerly MrAnnoyed

elgaucho

Postby elgaucho » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:08 pm

So.... Season 2 of the Living World started up yesterday - including the redesigned living world interface.

It feels like it's been a good long while since we had any beefy content to get into so I'm pretty welcoming to it - after being blasted with content every 2 weeks last year it was nice to not be trying to keep up with events.

I can't comment as to the longevity of the content, but I can say that the new area design is gorgeous. There are new adds and mechanics which use the cliffs and precipices to add an air of danger - and it seems ANet is deliberately looking to up the game in terms of adding spice to the game.

They've also changed the living world approach in terms of story-telling - this new chapter includes a number of instanced events which some really good narrative - if this is what we can expect going forward then it's great news.

Now - even if you think you don't want to play today but that you might in a few weeks or months then can I recommend that you at least log in so the game system acknowledges you as eligible for the content? You can do these new chapters at any time now or in the future but... if you don't log in during the "live" window then you'll need to use gems to unlock the content - for the sake of a 10 second login I think it's worth it!
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

elgaucho

Postby elgaucho » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:48 pm

Free trials are available at the moment if anyone might be interested.

They've recently redesigned the whole starting experience - it's had some mixed feedback initially, but now it seems to be bedding in more people seem to be accepting it might make the game more accessible.

Still a little slow on periodic updates since the living world season 2 content, but it's still a great game that I'd recommend everyone to at least try, even if it is only for the 1-80 experience! :P
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

elgaucho

Postby elgaucho » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:54 pm

I've been avoiding posting in here with the recent stuff going on, but I'm thinking it's as good a time as any!

The big reason for posting is that it's reported that there's a 75 PERCENT SALE on this weekend - now that equates to $9.99 in USD terms - I'm hoping the GBP price will be similar.

That is a STEAL of a price for the amount of content here, even if you only ever level one character to 80, it removes any reason for everyone not to at least try and enjoy the beauty of the game.

For those of you that don't know, it seems that the PAX event that's coming up is going to have a big announcement. Now, there is a trailer out there for it, but I'm not going to post it as it contains quite a few spoilers for what's been going on in the living story for a good few months.

The hype train for the event is already at bloated proportions (as they always are), but it could be that we'll see them announce an expansion after all this, and that would, in theory at least, add a heckuva lot of content on top of the already decent content that's been released in season 2 of the Living Story. Season 2 has been broken up into 8 story chapters and introduces a couple of new zones that have been gradually added to over recent months.

You might scoff at the idea of a mere couple of zones being added, but there is a lot of content in each one if you care to invest the time, and there are some interesting boss mechanics, particularly in Silverwastes - we're seeing more and more of these open world raids, and it's an odd hybrid between show and play and an organised event!

So if you have been sitting on the shelf, or if you've been wondering about popping back in to have a look, then the weekend may be a damn good time to do so!!!

ArenaNet Packs PAX South Weekend with Guild Wars® 2 Events, Enlists Celebrities for Special Presentation

Livestreamed PAX special event hosted by Jennifer Hale combined with double XP weekend and biggest game sale ever promise fun for Guild Wars 2 fans worldwide

BELLEVUE, Wash. – January 22, 2015: ArenaNet™, publisher and developer of the acclaimed Guild Wars franchise, today announced plans that will make this coming PAX South weekend one to remember for Guild Wars 2 fans, whether they’re in San Antonio, London, or L.A. (Lion’s Arch). The studio has organized a live event at PAX South that is also being livestreamed around the world to deliver an exclusive sneak peek at what’s next for the award-winning MMO. Bookending the event will be treats for players and new fans alike, with a double XP weekend in the game and the launch of the biggest sale ever offering Guild Wars 2 at the unprecedented price of $9.99.

ArenaNet is kicking off PAX South Saturday with “Guild Wars 2: Beyond the Point of No Return,” a special presentation by studio president and co-founder Mike O’Brien and game director Colin Johanson. The event will be livestreamed on Twitch and hosted by Jennifer Hale, a star voiceover actress and Guild Wars 2 fan favorite for her portrayal of Queen Jennah. Also joining the event are popular YouTube and Twitch personalities Bog Otter, AuroraPeachy, Jebro and ChroNickGamer , all of whom will be on hand to cover pre-show activities.

“Guild Wars 2: Beyond the Point of No Return” begins at 10:30 a.m. CST / 8:30 a.m. PST on Saturday, January 24 in the PAX South Main Theater in San Antonio, Texas. The livestream begins with pre-show at 10:00 a.m. CST / 8:00 a.m. PST on the official Guild Wars 2 Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2. After the presentation, the livestream will switch over to post-show commentary from the UK by another pair of popular online personalities, MattVisual and WoodenPotatoes. For EU territories, ArenaNet has arranged parallel livestreams in German with Honeyball and GuildNews.de, French with Ashuvidz and Spanish with YukieKoori and GuildWars Update where fans will be able to follow the event in their native language.

Outside of the event, PAX South weekend has big incentives for existing and new players alike to jump in and play Guild Wars 2. The game will be on sale for 75 percent off all weekend. At $9.99 for the base edition, this is the biggest sale for one of the most critically-acclaimed games of all time, and a steal for a MMO that doesn’t charge subscription fees. The 75 percent off discount applies to all editions of the game purchased through buy.guildwars2.com from 8:00 a.m. PST on Saturday, January 24 through 11:59 p.m. PST on Sunday, January 25.

Meanwhile on Tyria, it’s a level up love-fest. Players who jump in and play Guild Wars 2 will get rewarded double XP and can purchase additional boosters for 15 percent off throughout the weekend. For anyone who wants to level up their current characters or explore a new race and profession, your time is now.

To learn more about all of the upcoming activities for Guild Wars 2 and to follow the news coming out of PAX South, visit http://www.guildwars2.com.
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:07 pm

So yep, it's a new expansion.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:16 am

Trying to get back into this game so I dropped into my level 45 character earlier. Not only have half the mechanics seemingly been redesigned, but I can't remember how anything worked in the first place! I am so lost.

Rerolled a new necromancer in hopes that I could figure it all out from scratch, only to find that the Norn starting area is bugged out and nobody can finish the first event to leave the tutorial zone. Good job ANet, good job.

elgaucho

Postby elgaucho » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:09 am

It looks like there was indeed a bug in the starting area - they fixed that a couple of days ago btw!

Pretty unfortunate that that came up just as the promotion was up - I've not heard of it until I saw the patch note fixes!

They did massively change the new player experience - you get drip fed little bits of information at each level and unlock slots during the first 20 or so levels - but in compensation they've increased the XP gain at these levels so you progress fairly quickly.

Your 45 character (as it existed before this "new player experience" will also still have access to all the traits for his class. Any new chars need to unlock traits by going to world specific locations. So it takes a while and some effort to get enough skills for a good level 80 build, but encourages exploration, which is much of the joy of the game.

Give me a shout if you need help or a reminder on anything - I'd be real happy to spend some time helping you get back to grips with stuff! :)
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing