Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 11.11.11

The strategy of playing ones role.
[Prey]

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 11.11.11

Postby [Prey] » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:08 pm

Fallout 3 publisher Bethesda has indicated that the next title in the hugely popular Elder Scrolls series will be released in 2010.

Paul Oughton, publishing executive for Bethesda, also said that although the market for the Wii and DS has opened up more varied publishing opportunities, the company doesn't have any current plans to release titles for Nintendo consoles.

"At the moment we've got Fallout 3 for this year and potentially there's a new Elder Scrolls title in 2010," said Oughton. "At the moment we're not that interested in the Wii. We're going to stick to PS3, Xbox 360 and PC. We'll continue to pursue three or four titles a year and go for big titles," he said of the company's publishing plans for the future.

Oughton acknowledged that Nintendo has done a great job of expanding the games market to a mass audience, but he also expects that it will soon reach saturation point.

"We've seen games selling in the past 18 months that we never thought we'd see. We wouldn't have thought that pet games and cooking games would have a viable market five years ago. No publisher would have taken those products on," he said.

"But Nintendo bought new products in with vast amounts of marketing money to launch these into the minds of the consumer and made a market for them. Every other publisher then very quickly developed DS and Wii products and we're getting to saturation now."

Source: GiB
Last edited by [Prey] on Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:13 pm

:o

Ah good. Hope they make it more complicated than Oblivion. In terms of skills, they dumbed it down from Morrowind so much. It really annoyed me but I've loved every single Elder Scrolls so far, so i can't wait for this one. 2010 is too far away for me though, not good :'( Just hope they can learn from Oblivion and do something different instead of staying with the same format.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:16 pm

2010 will be here before you know it. I remember reading about Fallout 3 in 2006 and thinking 'the end of 2008? Jesus that's miles away' but it's come about insanely fast.

Having said that. FUCKS SAKE BETHESDA, please make a good game this time.

NightShade

Postby NightShade » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:29 pm

Anything on par with Oblivion will do me fine. It's not the greatest game ever sure, but fuck it, if a game allows me to sink over 60 hours into it without getting bored then it can be a piece of shit technically and I won't care.

Reiver

Postby Reiver » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:29 pm

2010. That sticks it on the current gen of consoles doesn't it. I don't think i'll be as excited as I was for Oblivion.

Bird

Postby Bird » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:32 pm

That's a good point actually, I'm suprised they aren't going to wait, although who knows how long it would be before there were new consoles.

It's not been long enough anyway, I'll be really pissed off if they bring out a new console within the next two years.

I was thinking about this not long ago actually.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:34 pm

Doubtful that Sony will do that. I can see the PS3 staying with us for a long time, while Microsoft will bring another out. Probably will fall around 2010 as well.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:36 pm

I expect a new Xbox will be about by 2012 definitely.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:39 pm

I hope they follow Sony and try to build a console that has lasting potential. I'll no doubt end up getting a PS3 in a year or two when some really beautiful games will be gracing the console. I doubt that the 360 will be able to keep up with the PS3 in a coup,e of years time. I suppose it's just Microsoft though, a new console will bring in a lot more money than one that's stayed on the market for years.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:42 pm

But developing a new console costs an absolute bomb, and if Microsoft are aware of the fact that Sony wont be planning on releasing a new one for a long time it might make them hold back on releasing one themselves to save cash and squeeze every bit of life out of the 360. It's not like it's such dated technology that games wont look very good on it, the best of both PS3 and 360 currently have very few graphical differences between them.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:05 pm

Sigur Ros wrote:I hope they follow Sony and try to build a console that has lasting potential.

I hope they follow Sony and try to build a console that doesn't have crippling design faults. It may have brought me more joy than any machine before it, but the 360 console is a piece of junk; very loud, an astonishingly poor failure rate, lack of built-in wi-fi, and the ability to run without a hard drive. It's all confounded by the high prices of accessories, particularly the hard drives and wi-fi adapter.

So, a new Elder Scrolls would need for me:
-Complete removal of the enemy leveling system. Everyone hates it, and it removed any real sense of satisfaction you got from playing.
-More variety in voice actors; I realise with so many people to voice that this is difficult, but there can't have been more than 6 general-use actors and actresses in Oblivion.
-Better animation; Oblivion's was bloody awful.
-More variety in landscapes; again, I realise that they have to work to an established map, but Oblivion's landscape was really very dull. We need some canyons and misty woods.
Last edited by Raid on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WMain00

Postby WMain00 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:08 pm

Elder Scrolls V: Land of a Thousand Suns!

Now featuring ten times more nuclear radiation hitting your sheep! Watch them glow until your eyes fall out!

Do they have glowing sheep in Fallout 3? They'd be more suited there surely? :P

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:11 pm

I believe the Fallout series' animal mutations of choice are the two-headed cow and the giant scorpion.

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:59 pm

Oh god, Bethesda are making this? You just know it'll be Oblivion with swords.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:02 pm

JohnyHumf wrote:Oh god, Bethesda are making this? You just know it'll be Oblivion with swords.

:|

Can't wait. Spent many an hour playing Elder Scrolls. I hope they get rid of quick travel though. I know if I don't want to use it then I should leave it, but when you get a new quest marker, and it's at the opposite side of the map for the tenth time, it's way too tempting.

Next

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing