Mass Effect 3 (PC/360/PS3)

The strategy of playing ones role.
Mantis
Admin

Re: Mass Effect 3 (PC/360/PS3)

Postby Mantis » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:35 pm

I'm pretty convinced that the series' popularity turned out to be its downfall. Simply too many people ended up having a hand in its production and things just got watered down far too much; tying up all the loose story ends from the previous games was far less satisfying and well done for me than many of you seem to remember it, and the level design just got worse as things went on.

Overall it's not a terrible series by any stretch of the imagination, but I still pretty firmly believe that the first game was easily a 9/10 whilst the other two diminished to a solid 7/10.

Sly Boots wrote:It feels a bit like you're arguing against a point of view that nobody has, Mantis.

I wasn't really trying to argue with anyone on here, merely expressing my view that the people who made those videos and the many thousands who watched and agreed with it are completely deluding themselves. :P

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:44 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:Not sure, Dj, ME3 is a brilliant game in its own right, that manages to meaningfully wrap up almost all the plotlines from the preceding two games in a satisfactory way. It's just unfortunate that doesn't include the major one.

I'd say more forget the final 10 minutes of the third game, the rest of the series is brilliant.

I wasn't really left hanging at the end of 2. Plus I thought there was far too much combat in the third game and it was combat that was already starting to get boring in 2. A lot of what I played of ME 3 was boring and yeah some of the stories were pretty good, but the whole game lacked soul. Everything felt cramped and I didn't feel like I was in a massive universe any more. The final game really soured me on the series after I had finished playing it and I do feel that it didn't add anything meaningful and instead detracted from the series as a whole.

If I knew someone who hadn't played the whole series before I would tell them to only bother with the first two.

The more I think about it the more the third feels like a poor man's Mass Effect 2.

ME2 is my favourite, but disagree with most of the rest of that tbh. Nae worries, though.
My face is tired.

topfear

Postby topfear » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:40 pm

A quick summary of the games for me goes like this (with scores!)

ME1 - gorgeous, detailed and interesting universe created but dull combat (8/10)
ME2 - polished to perfection, still gorgeous and interesting, but still kinda weak combat gameplay (9/10)
ME3 - a bit stale, many of the same environments, stories not as interesting, and ... (7/10)

Ignoring the ending, the third game is definitely the weakest out of the three, but still very playable.
^ not my words, the words of Top Gear magazine

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:45 pm

They should have just made 3 into an interactive adventure ala The Walking Dead and I would have enjoyed it more.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Bev

Postby Bev » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:17 pm

So I've finally got around to playing ME3, and I'm royally fucked-off on Tuchanka.

I'm trying to activate the maw hammers to summon Kalroth to attack the reaper, so I'm advancing toward the hammers while avoiding the reaper's giant laser.
I keep dying completely at random, when the giant laser isn't even firing. What the fuck?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:31 pm

No idea, I just sprinted through that bit and completed it in about four seconds.
My face is tired.

Bev

Postby Bev » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:54 pm

Seems it expects you to just sprint. If you take cover and move between shots, the game kills you out of spite.

Previous

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing