Piranha Bytes - Risen 2 Announced

The strategy of playing ones role.
Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:16 pm

Are many people playing this?

I've been at it properly for a few days now... just started Chapter 4 (which I think is the last one).

Really enjoying this... I liked Gothic 3, but this is the game that should have been.

Despite the fact it's set on a tiny island, it feels like there's more to do than there was in the whole of Cyrodiil....

Zael

Postby Zael » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:32 pm

Been playing this for a while now, using it as a warm up for Dragon Age. I'm quite enjoying it, playing as a warrior of the Order. I think the thing I most enjoy about it is the harshness of the combat, I mean when you get a companion for a quest you really use him/her to help fight which is a great touch that you don't see in a lot of RPGs out there.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:49 pm

Waiting til payday to buy it. :(

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:11 pm

Zael wrote:Been playing this for a while now, using it as a warm up for Dragon Age. I'm quite enjoying it, playing as a warrior of the Order. I think the thing I most enjoy about it is the harshness of the combat, I mean when you get a companion for a quest you really use him/her to help fight which is a great touch that you don't see in a lot of RPGs out there.

The combat is hard, but thanks to my sword/shield combo I can take down much stronger enemies, or even a few of them at a time. It took me a long time to realise that well-timed clicks mean you strike much faster than if you just button-mash (my usual modus operandi). Since then, every fight plays out like cat-and-mouse, waiting for their combo strikes to hit my shield, then get in a few lightning strikes of my own.

At early levels it meant being able to win quite tough fights (though lots, mainly enemies who could insta-kill me with one hit) and even at Level 23 there are few truly easy fights. Yet it never feels overwhelming. It's good, it actually feels skillful and rewarding when you're able to put together the perfect combination of strikes.

I'm playing as a bandit first time round... I'm already planning on being a fighter/mage next, will have to swallow my pride and join up with those Order loons for that...

Paul

Postby Paul » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:12 pm

Aye, I'm with Gibby; I haven't been this bloody broke in months!

Fortunately payday is tomorrow ;)

Zael

Postby Zael » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:28 pm

One thing I like about the game is the way its very good at giving you a one sided view of things. I'm playing as the order and the way I view things is that the Order is the right way to do it. They're the "good guys" in my game and the bandits need to be purged so we can get to work. But my brother is playing with the bandits and in his game the order look like fanatical loons, and the bandits seem like the "good guys".

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:40 pm

Paul wrote:Aye, I'm with Gibby; I haven't been this bloody broke in months!

Fortunately payday is tomorrow ;)

Buy me a copy as well, mate. Actually buy one and give me it. You don't really play RPGs anymore you gayboy! :(

:wink:

The Snot Goblin

Postby The Snot Goblin » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:27 pm

Was playing it as a bandit and absolutley loving it, but my game seems to have bugged in Chapter 3 and I can't carry on.

Gutted :( I've started off another character as a Mage but I'm not enjoying it quite as much.
I am going to eat Spaceman paninis with black Hitler and there is nothing you can do about it!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:31 am

The Snot Goblin wrote:Was playing it as a bandit and absolutley loving it, but my game seems to have bugged in Chapter 3 and I can't carry on.

Gutted :( I've started off another character as a Mage but I'm not enjoying it quite as much.

What happened in the first playthrough?

Out of interest, Zael, how far along are you in terms of the plot? Just wondering as, at the point I'm at, I can't see how they'd make the Order sympathetic!

Zael

Postby Zael » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:52 am

Not too far in, probably the middle of Chapter 2.

The Snot Goblin

Postby The Snot Goblin » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:02 am

Sly Boots wrote:
The Snot Goblin wrote:Was playing it as a bandit and absolutley loving it, but my game seems to have bugged in Chapter 3 and I can't carry on.

What happened in the first playthrough?

First story dungeon in Chapter 3 spoiler wrote:I got past the first bit where you open the huge set of doors with two winches on either side. Then the Inquisitor told me to go explore. Which I duly did. Disabled the massive trap, found all the rotating cylinder things, wiped out all the lizard men, freed the ogre and chased down the lizard hunting party thereby retrieving the map.

Once you've found the map the Inquisitor is supposed to then offer you a bust they found which will open a previously inaccessible chamber and allow you to progress but the Inquisitor won't talk to me. Consoling in the item he gives won't progress things either; the bugger's forgotten his lines or something.

The game came to a standstill basically.
I am going to eat Spaceman paninis with black Hitler and there is nothing you can do about it!

Carl

Postby Carl » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:20 pm

I wish Shadow Moses was around to chat about this game

Paul

Postby Paul » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:57 pm

What the hell?! I just called in at Gamespot with the intention of walking out with a shiny new copy of Risen. Instead, this happened:

I browsed the now extremely limited PC shelf and, due to being unable to find it, asked the chap behind the counter. He shot an extremely confused look at me and disappeared into the stock room. Seconds later, what can only be described as a colossal nerd emerged from said room. I was now stood face to face with a ~ 6ft, obese, bespectacled, spotty 20 something year old with the frizziest goddamn ponytail I've ever seen.

"Risen didn't come out on the PC", he blurted.

"I beg your pardon?" I replied.

"Yeah, it only came out on the 360; even the PS3 doesn't have it".

"But I've played the demo and it's available on Steam"

"Well I haven't seen it on Steam!"

"No? Well I can tell you it's there, and as I said - I've played the demo"

"Nah, can't be; it's only on the 360. Even if it did come out on the PC, we wouldn't stock it... we only really do MMOs now"

"Right, nevermind then"

*mumblefeklessoafmumble*

So I left. Empty handed with a quizzical look on my face.

Useless cunts.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:00 pm

PC Games are practically none-existent in Gamestation in Lincoln, the fucking cunts.

BoggyB

Postby BoggyB » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:26 pm

People would only complain about the price.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing