Divinity Original Sin 2: Out Sept 14th

The strategy of playing ones role.
Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Divinity Original Sin 2: Out Sept 14th

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:50 am

Snowy wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:Which quest was it, Snowy? Maybe use spoiler tags for those that haven't reached that point yet :)

I was thinking the same.

So: Bloodmoon Isle first.
Spoiler: show
Pick up the quest from Jalan/Jahan/Whatever to kill the Advocate on Bloodmoon Isle. Go to the isle and by all means batter the mobs by the tree (which tree becomes obvious when you see it) but DO NOT speak to the Advocate before you look at the three blazing statues and get the rest of the Bloodmoon isle quests. If you do, you will lock off the dialogue option which will allow you to complete these missions.

Huh. That's a bit dispiriting. In the first playthrough I only did one of those objects you mentioned and had an unresponsive person in the hold of my ship for the rest of the game as a result. I thought it a bit of an oddity but didn't give it a lot of thought really, a shame to find out it's part of a bigger quest.

Worse still, on my second playthrough I've realised there are more of those objects to interact with, but have already spoken to that character you mentioned, so that's probably a second time I won't get to see that particular bit of content. Bit frustrating.

On a different note, though on finishing Act 1 the second time and leaving Fort Joy, I'd resolved pretty much all the quests in that area, so I didn't get any messages saying 'so and so quest failed'. The only exception is the arena, but you can only finish that if you're playing co-op it seems, so not a big deal. Some of the quests have slightly obscure final steps, though, so in a couple of cases I had to look up a guide to see how to complete them. The games freeform nature and lack of hand-holding is to be commended, of course, but I think the journal in particular could do a better job of telling you what you need to do next at times, even if it doesn't give you the why or how. The burning pigs side-quest is a good example of that.
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:11 pm

In response to Sly, about Bloodmoon quests:

The problem is that while you can do each of the vaults under the statues (assuming you get the very specific set of scenarios correct - i.e. have a scholar character interpret the hymn book you find on the body of one of the attackers near the tree - really fucking close to the guy you shouldn't engage in conversation and who will address you once you kill them to get it, then have the same scholar examine the statues (meaning now I have to have each character interact with everything in sequence to ensure I missed no bizarre quest triggers)), you need to do them to find the entrance to the archives which otherwise does not appear. Once you speak to the Advocate, the dialogue option that would otherwise unlock it becomes locked behind a 'fuck off' response. Kill the advocate and speak to his ghost - nothing doing. Then you head back, talk to the demon hunter, and get his follow-on quest but with no access to the archive, you have no hope of progressing that quest or solving the mystery of the tree itself

There are others too - I have googled some of the other quests that have had unsatisfying endings (indeed many of which are incomplete in my log) and found that you have to take a series of steps that are not signposted at all, in a specific order, to get a satisfactory outcome.

That is a shame, as it takes a lot of the gloss off the game for me. Will you be successful? Maybe, but only if you (a) read up quest guides in advance which is no fun or (b) are lucky in the order in which you tackle conversations.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:51 am

I think this is just something that happens when you have an RPG that allows you to solve quests in so many multiple ways.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:32 pm

Maybe so DJ, but for me it has robbed the game of a little of the lustre it had initially, knowing that other than another guided playthrough I have no means of satisfactorily completing quest lines. I think maybe I am spoilt by the WoW's of the world where you always reach an ending, where in this you might not.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:18 pm

On that quest stuff you were talking about Snowy.

You can discover the entrance to the archive just by using high Wits, casting the Clear Mind spell should uncover it for you if your Wits are not high enough. You don't need to speak to the NPC to find it.

I managed to do all the vaults and kill the Advocate without any issues with quests. To finish off the Jahan questline you can speak to the tree on Bloodmoon Isle to get the name.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:36 am

So it appears the latest patch has broken a previously working quest line with Tarquin. Once you have given him the two pieces of the sword he is supposed to return to the Lady Vengeance and leave with you at the end of Act 2, however at the moment he stays near the graveyard and if you leave for the next Act he doesn't come with you so you cannot complete his quest line. So I have a decision to make, do I just sack that quest off and carry on or wait for a patch. Larian are aware of the bug and are working on it, but who knows when they will put a patch out. My question is then how interesting/necessary is his quest line?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:43 am

I would say that they seem to have released patches and hot-fixes very regularly, seems that most days I have something ping up when I open Steam, even if it's a small download.

As to the other, I can't say. I didn't realise until reading a bit online that I wasn't supposed to murder him the first time we meet. I had those two sword pieces and I kept reading about giving them to Tarquin, while on my map there was a spot near the cemetery that said 'Tarquin's whereabouts', only there was no-one there. I kept wondering who the bloody hell Tarquin was. At one point it was driving me nearly berserk until I just thought fuck it and moved onto the next act.

Then when I started second playthrough I got to that bit on the ship after escaping Fort Joy, and thought 'ohhhhhh'... :lol:
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:17 am

:lol: OK Sly.

I looked this up and it seems that he is integrated into the plot a fair bit so I might wait for them to patch it.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:17 am

It doesn't look like Larian are going to fix the Tarquin questline bug any time soon, so I think I'm going to press on without him.

Previous

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing