Endless Space 2

The strategy of playing ones role.
Sly Boots
MILF

Endless Space 2

Postby Sly Boots » Fri May 19, 2017 10:56 am

There's a chance I may be the only one interested in this, but seeing as how I loved the first one - and the fantasy prequel Endless Legend - sod it, I'm making a thread :x

Anyway, it's out today, and RPS liked it rather a lot:

Amplitude have crafted a game that oozes character and charm out of every pore. With its faction-specific soundtrack, lavish art and light RPG-like quests, it’s hard not to fall for it. Character doesn’t just mean flavour, either. Sure, Endless Space 2 is full of that, but what’s most compelling is the way in which it intersects with the mechanics, elevating them both.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/0 ... -2-review/

A slightly pricey £35 on Steam, though CDKeys.com has it for a much more reasonable £21:

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/endless- ... eam-cd-key

Think I shall be picking it up for that, though a few launch bugs makes me think I'll holding off playing for another update.
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Re: Endless Space 2

Postby Wrathbone » Fri May 19, 2017 1:40 pm

How does the first one compare to Stellaris? Could be interested but I've got so many games on the backlog I'd feel bad for buying yet another one right now. :oops:
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri May 19, 2017 1:48 pm

I've actually not played Stellaris, I'm afraid!

I think this one is so different to that, though, that comparisons are probably not that meaningful.

I did buy this. Once I'm playing I'll post up some thoughts. :)
My face is tired.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri May 19, 2017 6:18 pm

Why is it every new space 4X game that comes out has extremely limited combat? I picked up Stellaris last week and the combat seems to be "Build fleet. Send fleet to same system as enemy fleet. Click to engage. Most powerful fleet wins." There's no strategy to it, it's entirely based on tank rushing. Sounds like this is equally limited. Why can't we have a proper RTS system in these things?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri May 19, 2017 8:19 pm

They tend to be more grand strategy than micro based. The combat is simple but if you set the game up to be quite challenging then the strategy comes in on the higher level where you're plotting who to war with and how best to manipulate other races etc. I quite like the combat on Stellaris because it's relaxing to just watch once you've put all the pieces in place so to speak.

Trying to code in detailed RTS combat with a grand strategy game would probably be tough to get right given how many resources you'd have to devote to both elements. I think a 4x game where the combat took place on a separate system could be really interesting and unique though, say a bit like Total War where you're largely spending all your time on the grand overview of your empire screen, then the combat loads a separate battle where you can zoom in and directly control everything.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri May 19, 2017 9:02 pm

I think the problem is that Master of Orion 2 was one of my favourite games when I was a kid, and not a single 4X space game has stood up to it. That had proper turn based combat with shield arcs and things.

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing